|You Save:||$2.89 (19% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 2 hours, 1 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 15, 2002
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Walt Disney Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- To Be Announced
- Additional Release Material:
- To Be Announced
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Robert Duvall, Ann-Margret & Christian Bale|
|Performer:||Michael Lerner, Kevin Tighe, Bill Pullman, Charles Cioffi, David Moscow, Luke Edwards, Max Casella, Jo Ann Harris, Ele Keats & Jeffrey DeMunn|
|Directed by||Kenny Ortega|
|Edited by||William Reynolds|
|Screenwriting by||Bob Tzudiker & Noni White|
|Composition by||J.A.C. Redford|
|Produced by||Michael Finnell|
|Director of Photography:||Andrew Laszlo|
...It's a big, bright, rousing period musical...
Los Angeles Times
Rating: 1/4 -- ...manages some acrobatic dance numbers, but they seem oddly confined by the camera's frame. Full Review
Rating: 2.5/4 -- It's extremely earnest and more than a little corny, but there's an innocence about it that makes it kinda irresistible. Full Review
Rating: 6/10 -- Bale and the cast are energetic and fun to watch, and the story itself is fascinating history. But the songs and choreography are a disappointment. Full Review
Rating: 2.5/5 -- Certain movies engage your affections so strongly that, even if they start to fall apart, you tend to keep rooting for them. That's pretty much the case with Newsies. Full Review
Los Angeles Times
Rating: 3.5/4 -- Bale and Menken are literally what make the movie sing. Full Review
The 1899 New York newsboys' strike is the subject of this full-scale musical set against a stylized backdrop depicting turn-of-the-century New York City. In a series of rousing song and dance routines, choreographer/director Kenny Ortega chronicles the "newsies'" struggle with publishing mogul Joseph Pulitzer, their battering at the hands of strikebreakers, and their eventual triumph over the powerful newspaper establishment.
Description by Buena Vista Home Entertainment.:
Starring Academy Award(R)-winner Robert Duvall (Best Actor -- TENDER MERCIES, 1983) and screen favorite Ann-Margret, here's the true story of a courageous group of newsboys who become unlikely heroes when they team up to fight an unscrupulous newspaper tycoon. Determined to make their dreams come true, they find the courage to challenge the powerful! Critically acclaimed from coast to coast -- if you're looking for must-see, feel-good entertainment, NEWSIES delivers!
Determined to make their dreams come true, a courageous group of newsboys become unlikely heroes when they team up to fight an unscrupulous newspaper tycoon.
- Shot on location in Los Angeles, California, in Technicolor and Dolby (Spectral Recording). Prints by Technicolor.
- Began shooting April 15, 1991; completed shooting July 31, 1991. Released in New York City April 8, 1992; released in the USA April 10, 1992. Released on video October 14, 1992.
- First feature film directed by choreographer Kenny Ortega.
- The featured music performers are Michael Lang, Steve Schaeffer, Neil Stubenhaus, Michael Fisher and Larry Bunker.
- Soundtrack available on Walt Disney Records.
- Special thanks were given in the credits to Paul Aaron (co-producer of "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey"), Howard Ashman (the lyricist who collaborated with songwriter Alan Menken on "Beauty and the Beast" and "Little Mermaid" before his death from AIDS in 1991), Muppeteer Jim Henson, and famed dancer/choreographer/director Gene Kelly.
- Sales Rank: 10,611
- UPC: 786936162783
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Three Men and a Baby / Three Men and a Little Lady (2-DVD)
$9.10 Super Savings
Davy Crockett: King of the Wild Frontier / Davy Crockett...
$12 Super Savings