Rolling Stone: 3 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he album relaxes halfway through with lush, newly written ballads....When TIMELESS succeeds, it's beautiful, boundary-breaking music."
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Released: February 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Concord Records
Rolling Stone - p.683 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he album relaxes halfway through with lush, newly written ballads....When TIMELESS succeeds, it's beautiful, boundary-breaking music."
Entertainment Weekly - p.64"[This] set of gentle samba-jazz-rap is a pleasant surprise..." -- Grade: B
JazzTimes - p.78"[I]t is Mendes who is the album's backbone -- his piano work forming the solid centerline that assuredly, passionately defines every joyous bump, crevice and curve."
- $1.29 on iTunes1.The Black Eyed PeasMas Que Nada
- $1.29 on iTunes2.Erykah Badu & will.i.am of The Black Eyed PeasThat Heat
- $1.29 on iTunes3.Stevie Wonder & Gracinha LeporaceBerimbau / Consolacao
- $1.29 on iTunes4.Q-Tip & will.i.am of The Black Eyed PeasThe Frog
- $1.29 on iTunes5.Jill Scott & will.i.am of The Black Eyed PeasLet Me
- $1.29 on iTunes6.Mr. VegasBananeira (Banana Tree)
- $1.29 on iTunes7.will.i.am of The Black Eyed PeasSurfboard
- $1.29 on iTunes8.John LegendPlease Baby Don't
- $1.29 on iTunes9.Marcelo D2Samba Da Bencao (Samba Of The Blessing)
- $1.29 on iTunes10.India.ArieTimeless
- $1.29 on iTunes11.Justin Timberlake, Pharoahe Monch & will.i.am of The Black Eyed PeasLoose Ends
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Guinga & Marcelo D2Fo'-Hop (Por Tras De Bras De Pina)
- $1.29 on iTunes13.Maogani QuartetLamento (No Morro)
- $1.29 on iTunes14.E Menina (Hey Girl)
- $1.29 on iTunes15.Debi Nova & will.i.am of The Black Eyed Peas & OthersYes, Yes Y'All
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Sergio Mendes (vocals, piano, Fender Rhodes piano, Wurlitzer organ, synthesizer, string synthesizer); will.i.am (vocals, rap vocals, piano, percussion, drum programming, sampler); Kleber Jorge (vocals, acoustic guitar, cavaquinho); Erykah Badu, Gracinha Leporace, India.Arie, Jill Scott, John Legend, Justin Timberlake, Mr. Vegas, Debi Nova (vocals); Marcelo D2, Pharoahe Monch, Q-Tip, Chali 2na (rap vocals); Paul Meyers (guitar); Maogani Quartet (acoustic guitar); Mitchell Long (electric guitar); Tim Izo (flute, saxophone); Stevie Wonder (harmonica); Steve Tavaglione (saxophone); Bill Brendle (Fender Rhodes piano); Mike Shapiro (drums, snare drum, percussion); Gary "Sugar Foot" Greenberg, Paulinho Braga (drums); Chuck Prada (congas); Meia Noite (percussion); Jason Villaroman (drum programming).
Audio Mixers: Ethan Willoughby; Tony Maserati .
Liner Note Authors: Sergio Mendes; will.i.am.
Recording information: Chung King Studios, New York, NY (2004-2005); House Of Blues Studios, Encino, CA (2004-2005); Mega Studios, Paris, France (2004-2005); Mosh Studios, Sao Paulo, Brazil (2004-2005); Record Plant Studios, Hollywood, CA (2004-2005); Spiral Studios, Hollywood, CA (2004-2005); Wild West Studio, Malibu, CA (2004-2005).
Photographers: Albert Watson ; Gracinha Leporace.
Arrangers: Sergio Mendes; will.i.am.
The phenomenon of legendary older musicians working with younger contemporary artists to broaden artistic and commercial possibilities had almost become its own genre by the mid-2000s. Sergio Mendes's 2006 release TIMELESS keeps that trend alive and kicking. In a full-scale collaboration with Black Eyed Peas, Mendes updates the Brazilian pop he mastered in the 1960s by infusing it with R&B and hip-hop.
The synthesis should come as no surprise. Amid the reggaeton craze of the 2000s, who better to lay down Latin-flavored tracks for MCs than Mr. Brazil 66 himself? But the real clincher here is the roster of guest stars which includes Stevie Wonder, John Legend, Justin Timberlake, the Roots, and the aforementioned Black Eyed Peas, among many others. The odd, yet surprisingly successful combos (Timberlake and underground MC Pharoahe Monch anyone?) mix Mendes's bossa nova and samba with equal doses mainstream pop, funky soul, and hard-edged rap, revealing the polymorphous possibilities in the master's sound, and creating an album that is certainly timely, if not timeless.
Tempted To Touch / Tempted To Touch (Instrumental)
$3.40 Super Savings