Blues / Gold (2-CD)
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$0.58 (3% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-5 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: January 10, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Hip-O Records
Tracks on Disc 1:
- $1.29 on iTunes1.Muddy Waters(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man
- $1.29 on iTunes2.Big Mama ThorntonHound Dog
- $0.99 on iTunes3.T-Bone WalkerCall It Stormy Monday
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Lowell FulsonReconsider Baby
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Guitar SlimThe Things That I Used To Do
- $1.29 on iTunes6.Little WalterMy Babe
- $1.29 on iTunes7.Bo DiddleyI'm A Man
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Ray CharlesHard Times (No One Knows Better Than I)
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Slim HarpoI'm A King Bee
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Otis RushSo Many Roads, So Many Trains
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Jimmy ReedBig Boss Man
- $1.29 on iTunes12.Howlin' WolfSpoonful
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Freddie KingHave You Ever Loved A Woman
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Junior ParkerDrivin' Wheel
- $1.29 on iTunes15.Bobby "Blue" BlandTurn On Your Love Light
- $0.99 on iTunes16.Albert CollinsFrosty
- $1.29 on iTunes17.Sonny Boy WilliamsonBring It On Home
- $0.99 on iTunes18.Buddy GuyMy Time After Awhile
- $0.99 on iTunes19.Junior WellsHoodoo Man Blues
- $1.29 on iTunes20.Koko TaylorWang Dang Doodle
- $1.29 on iTunes21.John Lee HookerOne Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer
Tracks on Disc 2:
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Eric Clapton & Duane AllmanMean Old World
- $0.99 on iTunes2.John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Eric ClaptonAll Your Love
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Paul Butterfield Blues BandShake Your Moneymaker
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Albert KingBorn Under A Bad Sign
- $1.29 on iTunes5.Etta JamesI'd Rather Go Blind
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Taj MahalShe Caught The Katy (And Left Me A Mule To Ride)
- $1.29 on iTunes7.B.B. KingThe Thrill Is Gone
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Little MiltonIf Walls Could Talk
- $1.29 on iTunes9.The Allman BrothersTrouble No More [Live]
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Luther AllisonLuther's Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Z.Z. HillDown Home Blues
- 12.Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double TroubleFlood Down In Texas [Live]
- $0.99 on iTunes13.George Thorogood & The DestroyersBad To The Bone
- $1.29 on iTunes14.The Robert Cray BandSmoking Gun
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Keb' Mo'Am I Wrong?
- $1.29 on iTunes16.Jonny LangGood Morning Little School Girl
- $0.99 on iTunes17.Susan TedeschiJust Won't Burn
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Taj Mahal (vocals, guitar, harmonica); John Mayall (vocals, guitar, keyboards); Eric Clapton, Freddie King, George Thorogood, John Lee Hooker, Albert King, Lowell Fulson, Luther Allison, Muddy Waters, Robert Cray, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Susan Tedeschi, B.B. King, Buddy Guy (vocals, guitar); Junior Wells' Chicago Blues Band, Paul Butterfield (vocals, harmonica); Gregg Allman (vocals, organ); Etta James, Mama Reed, Herman "Little Junior" Parker, Willie Dixon, Z.Z. Hill, Big Mama Thornton, Koko Taylor, Bobby "Blue" Bland (vocals); Duane Allman (guitar, slide guitar); Dickey Betts, Eddie "Guitar" Burns, Elvin Bishop, Jesse Davis , Leroy Emanuel, Hubert Sumlin, Hugh McCracken, Jimmy Rogers , Lee Baker, Albert Collins , Matt "Guitar" Murphy, Michael Bloomfield, Pete "Guitar" Lewis, Steve Cropper, Albert Lowe, Lefty Bates, Cash McCall, Dino Zimmerman (guitar); Joe Arnold (flute, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Little Walter, Pat Hayes (harmonica); Donald Hankins (saxophone, baritone saxophone); Choker Campbell, Hank Carter, David "Fathead" Newman , Floyd Newman, Gene Barge, Julien Beasley, Jimmy Beck, Johnny Board, Aaron Varnell, Leroy Cooper, Charles Chalmers (saxophone); Henry Hayes, Gus Fontenette (alto saxophone); Jarrett Gibson, Theodore Arthur, Hubert Myers, Andrew Love, Ben Branch (tenor saxophone); Charles Crawford, Rayfield Davers (baritone saxophone); Joe Scott , Frank Mitchell, Murray Watson, Philip Gilbeaux, Tommy Nevue, Melvin "Lil' Son" Jackson, Wayne Jackson (trumpet); Fats Morris, John Watson , Pluma Davis (trombone); Dewey Oldham (piano, organ); Devonia Williams, Floyd Morris, Donny Hathaway, Teddy Reynolds, Paul Drake, Lafayette Leake, Leonard Caston, Otis Spann, Sonny Thompson , Booker T. Jones, Bruce McCabe (piano); Walter McNeil, Carl Banks, Mark Naftalin, Ricky Peterson, Tom West (organ); Paul "Blind Man" Harris, Peter Boe (keyboards); Johnny Otis (vibraphone); Chris Layton, Clifton James, Roger Dawkins, Earl Phillips, Fred Below, Leard Bell, Chick Booth, Herbert Henderson, Laval Belle, Bill Warren, John Starks, Al Duncan , Al Jackson, Jr. , Oscar Moore, Philip Paul, Sam Lay, Hughie Flint, Herb Lovelle, Morris Jennings, Chuck Blackwell , Oscar Lee Bradley, Jeff Simon, Butch Trucks, Rob Stupka (drums); Charlotte Chenault, Jewel Bass, Thomisene Anderson (background vocals).
Liner Note Author: Mary Katherine Aldin.
Recording information: Brookline, MA (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); Burbank, CA (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); Chicago, IL (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); Cincinnati, OH (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); Crowley, LA (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); Dallas, TX (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); Detroit, MI (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); Hollywood, CA (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); Houston, TX (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); Jackson, MS (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); London, England (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); Los Angeles, CA (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); Memphis, TN (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); Miami, FL (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); Minneapolis, MN (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); Montreux, Switzerland (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); Muscle Shoals, AL (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); Nashville, TN (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); New Orleans, LA (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); New York, NY (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); The Filmore East, NY (01/07/1954-??/??/1997); Watertown, MA (01/07/1954-??/??/1997).
Photographers: Jim Marshall ; Paul "Blind Man" Harris; Les Gruseck; Ray Flerlage; Frank Ockenfels; Ebet Roberts; Michael Putland; Jim Steinfeldt; Gilles P‚tard; Hiroyuki Arakawa; Brian Smith ; Paul Natkin; Tom Terrell.
Arrangers: Joe Scott ; Gene Barge.
This two-CD set is both an entertaining sampler of this richly varied American art form and an informative micro-history. It contains works by some of the blues' most celebrated pioneers--including Big Mama Thornton's original version of Elvis Presley's later hit "Hound Dog," the Chicago blues of Muddy Waters' "Hoochie Coochie Man," and Albert King's haunting "Born Under a Bad Sign"--as well as by its most ardent latter-day practitioners, such as Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Jonny Lang. "Mean Old World," Clapton's rarely heard acoustic duet with Duane Allman, is a special highlight, but for down-and-dirty blues nothing beats John Lee Hooker's inimitable "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer."
Muddy WatersThe Complete Aristocrat & Chess Singles As & Bs 1947-62... (CD)
$16.98 on Sale