Sandy Denny No More Sad Refrains: The Anthology (2-CD)
Entertainment Weekly: "...Extends Fairport's seminal folk-rock fusion....spanning a decade of her group and solo work..." - Rating: A
|You Save:||$0.69 (4% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
Format: CD (2 Discs)
item number: HC8K
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: July 25, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Universal I.S.
Entertainment Weekly - 8/4/00, p.87"...Extends Fairport's seminal folk-rock fusion....spanning a decade of her group and solo work..." - Rating: A
Q - 11/00, pp.123-44 stars out of 5 - "...She attaches her voice to generally high-grade material and takes it that little bit higher....this maintains a constant high..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Fotheringay
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Who Knows Where the Time Goes?
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Crazy Man Michael
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Farewell, Farewell
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Ballad of Easy Rider
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Nothing More
- $0.99 on iTunes7.The Sea
- $0.99 on iTunes8.The Pond and the Stream
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Banks of the Nile
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Late November
- $0.99 on iTunes11.John the Gun
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Next Time Around
- $0.99 on iTunes13.The North Star Grassman and the Ravens
- $0.99 on iTunes14.When Will I Be Loved?
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Learning the Game
- $0.99 on iTunes16.Here in Silence
- $0.99 on iTunes17.Man of Iron
Tracks on Disc 2:
- $0.99 on iTunes1.It'll Take a Long Time
- $0.99 on iTunes2.The Quiet Joys of Brotherhood
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Listen, Listen
- $0.99 on iTunes4.The Lady
- $0.99 on iTunes5.It Suits Me Well
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Solo
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Like an Old Fashioned Waltz
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Friends
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Carnival
- $0.99 on iTunes10.No End
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Stranger to Himself - (previously unreleased, demo version)
- $0.99 on iTunes12.One More Chance - (demo version)
- $0.99 on iTunes13.For Shame of Doing Wrong
- $0.99 on iTunes14.One Way Donkey Ride
- $0.99 on iTunes15.I'm a Dreamer
- $0.99 on iTunes16.All Our Days
- $0.99 on iTunes17.No More Sad Refrains
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
This collection includes songs from Sandy Denny's solo albums THE NORTH STAR GRASSMAN AND THE RAVENS, SANDY, LIKE AN OLD FASHIONED WALTZ and RENDEZVOUS, as well as tracks by Fairport Convention, Fotheringay and The Bunch, and various rare recordings and demos.
Personnel includes: Sandy Denny (vocals, acoustic guitar, piano); Richard Thompson (vocals, acoustic & electric guitars, electric dulcimer, mandolin, accordion, bass); Trevor Lucas (acoustic & electric 6- & 12-string guitars, background vocals); Simon Nichol (vocals, guitar); Ian Matthews (vocals, percussion); Linda Peters Thompson (vocals); Jerry Donahue (guitar, background vocals); Sneaky Pete Kleinow (pedal steel guitar); Dave Swarbrick (mandolin, violin, viola); John "Rabbit" Bundrick (piano, organ, keyboards); Steve Winwood (electric piano, organ); Jean Rossel (keyboards); Tony Reeves, Danny Thompson (bass) Pat Donaldson (bass, backgound vocals); Gerry Conway (drums, background vocals); Timi Donald (drums).
Producers include: Trevor Lucas, John Wood, Peter Elford, Sandy Denny, Richard Thompson.
Compilation producer: Bill Levenson.
Engineers include: John Wood, Jerry Boys, Trevor Lucas.
Recorded between September 1968 & June 1976. Includes liner notes by Clinton Heylin.
Digitally remastered by Jeff Willens (Universal Mastering Studios-East).
Personnel: Sandy Denny (vocals, guitar, piano); Trevor Lucas (vocals, guitar, 12-string guitar); Simon Nicol (vocals, guitar); Ian Matthews (vocals, percussion); Graham Lyle, LadybiRdS, Jess Roden, Ashley Hutchings, Sunny Leslie, Kay Garner, Sue Glover, Clare Torry (vocals); Jerry Donahue (guitar, background vocals); Dave Swarbrick (mandolin, violin, viola); Barry Dransfield (violin, background vocals); Ian Whiteman (flute, piano, organ); John "Rabbit" Bundrick (piano, organ, keyboards); Steve Winwood (electric piano, organ); Jean Roussel (keyboards); Dave Mattacks (drums, congas); Gerry Conway (drums, background vocals); Martin Lamble, Timi Donald (drums); Royston Wood, Linda Peters, Pat Donaldson, Robin Dransfield (background vocals).
Liner Note Author: Clinton Heylin.
Recording information: A&M Studios, Los Angeles, CA, Unites States (09/1968-06/1976); Air Studios, London, England (09/1968-06/1976); Basing Street Studios, London, England (09/1968-06/1976); Byfield Northants (09/1968-06/1976); CBS Studios, London, England (09/1968-06/1976); De Lane Lea Studios, London, England (09/1968-06/1976); Island Studios, Hammersmith, England (09/1968-06/1976); Island Studios, London, England (09/1968-06/1976); Sound techniques, London, England (09/1968-06/1976); The Manor, Oxfordshire, England (09/1968-06/1976).
This anthology is a fitting tribute to the towering artistry of Sandy Denny. Not only was she a heartbreakingly riveting singer, she also composed timeless songs, including the one that closes this two-disc set and lends it its title. These 34 songs are drawn from her work with Fairport Convention, Fotheringay, and her own jeweled solo albums--THE NORTH STAR GRASSMAN & THE RAVENS, SANDY, and LIKE AN OLD FASHIONED WALTZ are all enduring works of grace and beauty.
With the combination of her British Isles heritage and a love for American folk music, Sandy Denny developed a voice of her own fairly early on, first flourishing in Fairport Convention, then starting out on her own in a variety of settings. All of the phases of her 10-year career (she died in 1978) are represented here, making this an essential collection. Two other sets available are the three-disc WHO KNOWS WHERE THE TIME GOES, and THE BEST OF SANDY DENNY, on a single disc.
Sandy DennyI've Always Kept a Unicorn: The Acoustic Sandy Denny (2-CD)
Bob DylanThe Bootleg Series, Volume 15: Travelin' Thru (3-CD)
Under Review: An Independent Critical Analysis (Limited...
$16.40 Super Savings
The Troubadours (Nick Drake / Tim Buckley / Sandy Denny)...
$21.80 Super Savings