Guitar Slim Sufferin' Mind
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: May 1, 1991
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Specialty
Down Beat - 1/92, p.364.5 Stars - Very Good/Excellent "...Slim serves up spiky, quick-fire licks that elevated him to the front of the pack in the mid-50's R&B band movement.."
- $1.29 on iTunes1.The Things That I Used To Do
- $1.29 on iTunes2.Well I Done Got Over It
- $1.29 on iTunes3.Story Of My Life
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Letter To My Girlfriend (a.k.a. Prison Blues)
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Trouble Don't Last
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Later For You Baby
- $1.29 on iTunes7.Bad Luck Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Twenty-Five Lies
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Sufferin' Mind
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Stand By Me
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Guitar Slim
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Our Only Child
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Reap What You Sow (a.k.a. Bad Woman Blues)
- $0.99 on iTunes14.I Want To Love-A You
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Sufferin' Mind
- $0.99 on iTunes16.I Want To Love-A You
- $0.99 on iTunes17.Think It Over
- $0.99 on iTunes18.Quicksand
- $1.29 on iTunes19.You're Gonna Miss Me
- $0.99 on iTunes20.I Got Sumpin' For You
- $0.99 on iTunes21.Something To Remember You By
- $0.99 on iTunes22.You Give Me Nothing But The Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes23.Going Down Slow
- $0.99 on iTunes24.Certainly All
- $0.99 on iTunes25.Something To Remember You By
- $0.99 on iTunes26.Certainly All
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Guitar Slim (guitar); Gus Fontenette (alto saxophone); Charles Burbank, Oett "Sax" Mallard (tenor saxophone); Clarence Ford (baritone saxophone); Roosevelt Paul Brown, Frank Mitchell (trumpet); Ray Charles, Lawrence Eddie Cotton, John Gerard (piano); Oscar Moore (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Liner Note Author: Jerry Wexler.
Recording information: J&M Studio, New Orleans, LA; Master Recorders, Hollywood, CA; Universal Recording Corp., Chicago, IL.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Georgia Gillfillan; Billy Vera.
Arranger: Ray Charles.
Probably the most essential of the many Guitar Slim anthologies available, 1991's SUFFERIN' MIND collects Eddie Jones' classic 1953-'55 recordings for the New Orleans-based Specialty Records label. This 26-track collection, which features a number of unreleased tracks and alternate takes, is also of interest to rhythm and blues fans because Slim's musical director/piano player at this time was Ray Charles. It's all Slim's show, though; the flamboyant guitarist and singer-who would often perform with a 100-foot lead on his guitar, walking on tables and out into the club's parking lot during an extended solo-is in complete control throughout. The classic single "Things I Used to Do" leads off the set, with tunes like "Sufferin' Mind," "Story of My Life" and the winning braggadocio of "Guitar Slim" also among the highlights.
Electric Blues: 40 Full-On Electric Blues Classics (2-CD) NEW
$6.98 ENDS TONIGHT
Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour: Best Of The First... (CD)
$14.84 ENDS TONIGHT
Working In The Coal Mine - A Golden Classics Ed. (CD)
$3.58 ENDS TONIGHT
I Know (You Don't Love Me No More) - Golden Classics (CD)
$4.48 ENDS TONIGHT