Arch Hall Jr. & The Archers
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs (series)
Only 4 copies left
|You Save:||$5.03 (28% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Products with a similar style:
- Cher The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD) ~ $8.34
- Cher The Best of Volume 2 - 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD) ~ $8.84
- Cher Farewell Tour Live (Special Limited Edition) (CD) ~ $11.69
- Cher Gold (2-CD) ~ $17.98
- All tracks previously unissued except 4, 8 and 24.
- Track 1 from "The Sadist"
- Tracks 3, 5-7, 15-21, 24-32 and 45 from "Wild Guitar"
- Tracks 2, 13, 14, 22-24 from "Eegah"
- Tracks 4, 6 and 48 from "The Choppers"
- Tracks 33-44 recorded live at the Twin Drive-In, Pensacola Florida, 12/7/62
- Tracks 46 and 47 recorded live at Shap's, Pasadena California, Spring 1964
- Released: March 2, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Norton
Description by OLDIES.com:
Arch Hall, Jr. has long been revered for his starring roles in six motion pictures made over a five year period 1959-1964 - The Choppers, Eegah, Wild Guitar, The Sadist, Nasty Rabbit, and Deadwood '76. All of these movies, completed before Arch turned twenty-one, were produced by his father, veteran actor Arch Hall Sr., and incorporated the abilities of a loyal ensemble of writers, camera people, actors, musicians and family members. Beyond acting, Arch Jr. was a musician, recording one 45 for Steve Allen's Signature label, followed by two singles issued as promotional releases for the films. Arch, along with his group the Archers, wrote and recorded much of the film music that Arch performs onscreen, but the Archers had a larger life apart from the movies. They were an active live act, working nightclubs throughout the Los Angeles area with a decidedly different sound from the teen-focused film fodder that was expected of them for the movies. This collection brings together records, soundtrack music, radio spots, night club recordings, plus a 1962 live promotional show taped outdoors at a Florida drive-in movie theatre! Here we go then - in full-on panavistic astrovision - with the sounds and story of Arch Hall Jr. and the Archers: Wild Guitar, and then some! Includes extensive 27-page booklet.
- 1.The Sadist
- 2.Dune Buggy
- 4.Konga Joe
- 5.Theme From "Wild Guitar"
- 7.Steak's Theme
- 8.Monkey In My Hatband
- 9.Back In Business
- 10.Run Vickie Run
- 11.Mike Calls The Shots
- 12.Guitar Twist
- 13.A Date With Eegah
- 14.Theme From "Eegah"
- 15.I'm Growin' Taller
- 16.Wild Guitar Trailer
- 18.Twist Fever
- 20.Money And Records
- 22.Eegah Crashes The Party
- 23.Brownsville Road
- 25.Girl Bait
- 26.Daisy Dance
- 27.The Kidnappers
- 28.Judy Poody
- 29.Organ Twist
- 30.Bud Smells A Rat
- 31.Bud And Steak Square Off
- 32.Pep Talk
- 33.Archers Theme
- 34.If A Man Answers
- 35.Further On Up The Road
- 36.Stop Sneakin' Round
- 37.Nancy Czar Interview
- 38.Teenage Idol
- 39.Good Golly Miss Molly
- 40.Wild Guitar
- 41.Hello Mary Lou
- 42.Susie Q
- 43.Yes I Will
- 44.Archers Theme Outro
- 45.You Little Punk
- 46.Watch Your Step
- 47.Big Boy Pete
- 48.The Choppers
Personnel: Arch Hall, Jr. (vocals, guitar); Alan O'Day (vocals, harmonica, electric piano, organ); Ernie Gurrola (drums).
Liner Note Author: Miriam Linna.
Recording information: Shap's, Pasadena, CA (12/07/1962/??/??/1964); Twin Drive In, Pensacola, FL (12/07/1962/??/??/1964).
Editors: Bill Miller; Ken Robertson.
Fans of oddball cinema have long known the name Arch Hall, Jr. as the star of such low-budget epics as Wild Guitar, Eegah!, The Choppers, and The Sadist (the latter featuring his finest performance as a creepy teenage psycho pattered after Charles Starkweather), but while (with the exception of The Sadist) he sang a few rock & roll numbers in each of his films, the guy never seemed to have made any records. As it turns out, Arch Hall, Jr. racked up one commercially released single during the course of his career in music, but there's more to the man than that, and thankfully the cultural archivists at Norton Records have finally set the record straight on his musical abilities with Wild Guitar, which pulls together both sides of that rare 45 along with tunes from his movies, dialogue clips, and some unreleased live material. Actually, the latter category is where the real action is on this disc; the tunes from Hall's movies are pretty good (especially "I'm Growing Taller Every Day" and "Brownsville Road"), but it's when listeners get to a live gig that Hall and his band, the Archers, played at a Florida drive-in in 1962 (where Wild Guitar was playing) that things really start to hop. Turns out Hall was a hot guitar player with a taste for the blues and no fear of letting it rip (not many white guys were name-checking Bobby "Blue" Bland in 1962), and his bandmembers could certainly keep up as they roar through versions of "Good Golly Miss Molly," "Suzie Q," and "Further On Up the Road." Hall is in even stronger form on two tunes from a 1964 nightclub date, and it makes you wish someone had the presence of mind to cut an album on these guys when they were hot. Still, Wild Guitar at least allows you to hear Arch Hall, Jr. make with the rhythm on your stereo at last, and confirms this guy was a natural-born rock & roller, and not some teen actor who got handed a guitar. Very fun stuff. ~ Mark Deming
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 51,718
- UPC: 731253030727
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of ? And The Mysterians (Cameo Parkway) (CD)
$11.02 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Early Rock & Roll (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Yes Acoustic: Guaranteed No Hiss (DVD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Fun: 43-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE