All Bat, No Glove: A History of the Designated Hitter
McFarland & Company (series)
- 219 Pages
- Released: October 14, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Publisher: McFarland & Company, Inc.
|Author:||G. Richard McKelvey|
Description by OLDIES.com:
The basic elements of baseball remain essentially the same as they were when the first professional game was played in the 1870s. Changes in this sport - when they come - come slowly. In 1973, one of baseball's most drastic changes was legislated: American League owners voted to add one player to the traditional nine-man line-up, creating a "10-man game" in which a designated hitter (or DH) had a regular spot in the batting order, and he or a replacement for him batted for his club's pitcher(s) throughout the game. This change to baseball rules was approved in the hopes that DH's would provide a spark for the AL's sagging offenses; an explosion in hits, homers and runs would draw more people to their ballparks and enable their clubs to surpass the National League in the annual attendance race. This work offers a fascinating exploration of the history and place of the designated hitter in the major leagues.
666 Photography: Of Virgin Queens and High Camp Divas (Book)
$26.21 on SALE
Irwin Allen Television Productions, 1964-1970 (Book)
$34.95 on SALE
Customers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Customer to write an online review of this product!
Baseball - Shoeless: The Life and Times of Joe Jackson (Book)
$26.96 on SALE
Baseball - Pepper Martin: A Baseball Biography (Book)
$24.95 on SALE
Baseball - The Ultimate Cardinals Record Book: A Complete...
$13.98 on SALE
Baseball - Catfish, Yaz, and Hammerin' Hank: The... (Book)
$11.24 on SALE
Top ranking Book:
- The Complete Book of Doo Wop ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Who Sang Our Songs?: The Official Rhythm & Blues And Doo-Wop Songography (Book) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire: A Tribute to Johnny Cash (with Bonus CD Single) (Book) ~ $1 on SALE
- The Alan Freed Story - The Early Years of Rock & Roll (Book) ~ $6.95 on SALE
- Group Harmony: Echoes of the Rhythm & Blues Era (Book) ~ $6.98 on SALE