Early Baseball And The Rise of The National League
McFarland & Company (series)
- 176 Pages
- Released: April 5, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Publisher: McFarland & Company
Description by OLDIES.com:
Did modern baseball spontaneously arise from the genius of the American people? Did professionalism arise simply from a desire to turn baseball into a business? Did William Hulbert, organizer of the National League, really "save" baseball? These are three of the questions examined in this work about early baseball's role in American culture. Beginning with an introduction to the sport as achievement and expression, the author takes a close look at the early demand in New York for "the best against the best" in baseball and argues that this demand was contradictory to society's equally persistent demand that displays of "the best against the best" be locally accessible. This work offers insights into how baseball operated in its early days, with special attention paid to the National Association and how the National League came into being.
666 Photography: Of Virgin Queens and High Camp Divas (Book)
$26.21 on SALE
Irwin Allen Television Productions, 1964-1970 (Book)
$34.95 on SALE
Customers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Customer to write an online review of this product!
Baseball - Shoeless: The Life and Times of Joe Jackson (Book)
$26.96 on SALE
Baseball - Pepper Martin: A Baseball Biography (Book)
$24.95 on SALE
Baseball - The Ultimate Cardinals Record Book: A Complete...
$13.98 on SALE
Baseball - The Dodgers: From Coast to Coast (Book)
$27.74 on SALE
Top ranking Paperback Book:
- Who Sang Our Songs?: The Official Rhythm & Blues And Doo-Wop Songography (Book) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- The Complete Book of Doo Wop ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Group Harmony: Echoes of the Rhythm & Blues Era (Book) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- George Reeves - Speeding Bullet: The Life and Bizarre Death of George Reeves (2nd Edition) (Book) ~ $24.95 on SALE
- Color My Boobs!: A Titillating Coloring Book for Adults ~ $7.11