Baseball Jackie Robinson: Opening Day - The Story of Jackie Robinson's First Season
- 323 Pages
- Illustrated in B&W
- Released: March 20, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Description by OLDIES.com:
He was an unlikely hero. He had little experience in organized baseball. His swing was far from graceful. And he was assigned to play first base, a position he had never tried before that season. But the biggest concern was his temper. Robinson was an angry man who played an aggressive style of ball. In order to succeed he would have to control himself in the face of what promised to be a brutal assault by opponents of integration.
In Opening Day, Jonathan Eig tells the true story behind the national pastime's most sacred myth. Along the way he offers new insights into events of sixty years ago and punctures some familiar legends. Was it true that the St. Louis Cardinals plotted to boycott their first home game against the Brooklyn Dodgers? Was Pee Wee Reese really Robinson's closest ally on the team? Was Dixie Walker his greatest foe? How did Robinson handle the extraordinary stress of being the only black man in baseball and still manage to perform so well on the field? Opening Day is also the story of a team of underdogs that came together against tremendous odds to capture the pennant. Facing the powerful New York Yankees, Robinson and the Dodgers battled to the seventh game in one of the most thrilling World Series competitions of all time.
Drawing on interviews with surviving players, sportswriters, and eyewitnesses, as well as newly discovered material from archives around the country, Jonathan Eig presents a fresh portrait of a ferocious competitor who embodied integration's promise and helped launch the modern civil-rights era. Full of new details and thrilling action, Opening Day brings to life baseball's ultimate story.
Customers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 37 ratings.
- ISBN: 0743294602
- EAN: 9780743294607
- International Shipping: 2 items
Top ranking titles in the Sports & Sports Memorabilia genre:
- Baseball - Classic Baseball (Book) ~ $5.38 CYBER SALE
- Baseball - The Baseball Anthology: 125 Years of Stories, Poems, Articles, Photographs, Drawings, Interviews, Cartoons and other Memorabilia (Book) ~ $3.58 CYBER SALE
- Baseball - Baseball as America: Seeing Ourselves Through Our National Game (Book) ~ $4.48 CYBER SALE
- Bowling - Let's Go Bowling (Book) ~ $6.26 CYBER SALE
- Boxing - Beyond Glory: Max Schmeling vs. Joe Louis and a World on the Brink (Book) ~ $5.38 CYBER SALE