Welcome to Atlantic City, New Jersey, the birthplace of many pop culture phenomena, including Monopoly, the Miss America Pageant, salt-water taffy and The Donald (Trump, that is). Discover the extraordinary history of this glamorous resort town in Atlantic City Then and Now,
a new title in the top-selling Then and Now
• Fascinating then-and-now photographs highlight Atlantic City’s evolution-from its early days as a get-away for Philadelphians, through its decline in the mid-20th century, to its 21st-century incarnation as a gambling and entertainment mecca.
• Stroll along the city’s famous Boardwalk! First built in 1870 to keep sand off hotel carpets, the Boardwalk has witnessed tremendous changes.
• Check in to some of the Eastern Seaboard’s most extravagant turn-of-the-century hotels like the Traymore, the Marlborough-Blenheim, and the Shelburne.
• See how Donald Trump turned swampland into gold, with photographs of the once impoverished Inlet area that now boasts high-end resorts.
• Take a spin on the world’s first Ferris wheel, at Missouri and Mississippi Avenues, now the site of the Trump Taj Mahal casino.
• Glimpse icons of the past, like Boardwalk Hall, home of the Miss America Pageant and the Chesterfield sign, once the world’s largest electric sign with 27,000 light bulbs.