Fibber McGee and Molly: How Fibber McGee And Molly Won World War II
|CYBER SALE:||$17.95 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4 (18% Off)|
- 267 Pages
- Lightly Illustrated With B&W Photos
- Released: January 19, 2010
- Originally Released: 2010
- Publisher: BearManor Media
Description by OLDIES.com:
In the book Smith describes how the special combination of the stars themselves, a writing genius, and the "perfect" sponsor, produced a one-of-a-kind program melding laughs and patriotism during one of America's darkest hours. Jim and Marian Jordan somehow hooked up with writing genius Don Quinn, and the unparalleled support of the S.C. Johnson Wax Company to produce an entertaining, funny series of programs with an unwavering message--America was in right , the men(and women) in the military deserved unflagging support, and the folks at home had a vital role to play, assuring the ultimate victory.
The story is told via excerpts from scores of broadcasts enhanced by the author's observations. An account of the difficult , but ultimately successful, efforts of the Government and of the broadcast industry to adapt to Wartime conditions provides an illuminating backdrop to the story. Fifteen photographs illuminate the book.
The McGee's messages, while always supportive of the War effort, were sometimes poignant. An example is Molly's post-War reminder in support of the National War Fund, an agency devoted to providing recreational care and maintenance of morale for the military until they returned home:"We gave our boys a warm hand when they left. Let's not give them the cold shoulder now."
Fibber McGee and Molly highlighted subjects not usually given a lot of attention such as the Coast Guard, Merchant Marine,"WACS", Inflation, and Aid to European War Victims.
Customers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Top ranking titles in the Old-Time Radio genre:
- Bob and Ray and Tom: The Story of a Guy Who Wrote A Lot of Stuff For Radio's Greatest Satirists (Book) ~ $7.16 CYBER SALE
- Fibber McGee and Molly: On the Air 1935-1959 (Revised and Enlarged Edition) (Book) ~ $24.28 CYBER SALE
- Great Gildersleeve - Tuning in The Great Gildersleeve: The Episodes and Cast of Radio's First Spinoff Show, 1941-1957 (Book) ~ $39.98 CYBER SALE
- The "Who Is Johnny Dollar?" Matter, Volume 2 (Book) ~ $22.48 CYBER SALE
- Hopalong Cassidy - Jingle of the Silver Spurs: The Hopalong Cassidy Radio Program (1950-52) (Book) ~ $10.76 CYBER SALE