Forgotten Horrors 4: Dreams That Money Can Buy
|You Save:||$5.02 (20% Off)|
Paperback Book Details
- 306 Pages
- Released: April 17, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Publisher: Midnight Marquee Press
|Author:||Michael H. Price & John Wooley|
Description by OLDIES.com:
And that is what most of the pictures in this volume are: little dreams, made all the more dreamlike by their obscurity. The pictures are not big-studio productions full of high-wattage star power, but quirky titles from little studios. Forgotten Horrors 4 remains focused on the tawdry (but no less magical) Hollywood backstreet known as Poverty Row. From their Poverty Row vantage, actors gazed out at the Golden City just beyond their grasp and, between shots on cheap sets in quickie productions for directors far beneath the station of DeMille, imagined life as Gregory Peck or Loretta Young.
Seen today, these small-studio pictures carry a quirky, almost heartwarming nobility. They know what they are, and the people involved - allowing for factors ranging from disillusionment to cynicism to John Barleycorn - seem to be doing the best they can. They know it's not MGM or Paramount - but anyway, they are working.
Without the bankable stars that all America knew, the people who made these films had to have "something else" going for them. And that something else was almost always an exploitable angle, something the theater owners could sell in lieu of marquee names. In the pictures examined between these covers, that something else was a horrific or bizarre element of one sort or another, ranging from simple murder to terrors far more fiendish. In the Westerns and the comedies, the horror element often came as a lagniappe, giving an extra thrill to the folks who probably would have shown up anyway. And rather than fading into obscurity, these little gems still manage to entertain us almost 60 years after their debuts.
Forgotten Horrors 4 picks up where Forgotten Horrors 3 left off and covers the years 1946 through 1948. Titles include:
- Jungle Jim
- The Falcon
- Philo Vance
- Inner Sanctum
- The Creeper
- Blonde Ice
- The Cobra Strikes
- Scared To Death
- The Ghost Goes Wild
- And many more...
Customers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Top ranking titles in the Midnight Marquee Press & Luminary Press series:
- Who Framed Boris Karloff? (Book) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Classic Cliffhangers, Volume 2: 1941-1955 (Book) ~ $19.95 on SALE
- So Deadly, So Perverse: 50 Years of Italian Giallo Films - Volume 1 (1963-1973) (Book) ~ $44.95 on SALE
- Peter Cushing - An Autobiography and Past Forgetting (Book) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Classic Cliffhangers, Volume 1: 1914-1940 (Book) ~ $19.95 on SALE
Top ranking titles in the Movies & TV genre:
- Italian Sword and Sandal Films, 1908-1990 (Book) ~ $35.95 on SALE
- The Thin Man - Murder Over Cocktails (Book) ~ $22.50 on SALE
- Lee Van Cleef - The Best of the Bad (Book) ~ $12.98 on SALE
- Soupy Sales - Soupy Sez!: My Zany Life and Times (Book) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- George Reeves - Speeding Bullet: The Life and Bizarre Death of George Reeves (2nd Edition) (Book) ~ $24.95 on SALE