- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 43 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 9, 1999
- Originally Released: 1975
- Label: Miramax Lionsgate
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"I know how to cool off hot little chippies like you!"
- Mom, the lesbian prison warden (KATE MURTAGH).
"You can beat us, chain us, lock us up, but we'll be back."
- Maggie (JOANNE NAIL)
Sight and Sound - 01/??/1999
"...Refreshing....This is a film with all the itchily sweet passion of a Shangri-Las anthem, cranked up to full volume..."
Entertainment Weekly - 06/21/1996
"...Whitesploitation extravaganza....Lurid fascination..." -- Rating: B
Variety - 06/24/1996
"...SWITCHBLADE SISTERS provides a rearview perspective on the anxiety and paranoia of the recent past....The picture has a brisk pace..."
Quentin Tarantino brought this gleefully over-the-top exploitation classic to a new generation with its re-release through his Rolling Thunder production company in 1996. The story chronicles the Dagger Debs, gang girlfriends of the Daggers. When sexy new girl on the block Maggie (Joanne Nail) joins the gang and befriends its tough-talking leader Lace (Robbie Lee), she arouses the jealousy of Patch (Monica Gayle), Lace's former right-hand woman, and catches the eye of Lace's boyfriend (Asher Brauner), the stud leader of the Daggers. When he's shot down at a bloody roller rink gunfight, Maggie steps in as leader and enlists the help of a tough band of black militants in getting revenge. Through it all, Patch keeps driving a wedge between Maggie and Lace, leading to treachery, and more bloodshed.
Acclaimed exploitation director Jack Hill (COFFY, FOXY BROWN) invests this gem with his strong character development, colorful action, and zingy dialogue, and the result is a truly rewarding trash experience. With everything from lesbian prison brawls to machine gun warfare, this film deserves its high cult status and should be considered required viewing for 1970s exploitation fans.
Description by Buena Vista Home Entertainment.:
Jack Hill's SWITCHBLADE SISTERS is the outlandish, action-packed story of a tough gang of teenage girls -- the all-female Dagger Debs -- who are looking for love and fighting for turf on the mean streets of the city! Bad girls to the core, these impossibly outrageous high school hoodlums go where they want ... and create mayhem wherever they go! A riotously entertaining mix of sex, jealousy, and massive firepower that critics loved -- don't miss your chance to see one of the wildest films ever made!
Big City |
Cult Film |
Theatrical Release |
Women In Prison
- Originally released in 1975 as "The Jezebels." Rereleased as "Playgirl Gang."
- Color by Eastmancolor.
- Rereleased theatrically in 1996 under the title "Switchblade Sisters," distributed by Quentin Tarantino's Rolling Thunder Pictures, a division of Miramax. It opened in New York City and Los Angeles on June 14, 1996. It opened in Boston, Chicago and Philadelphia on June 21, 1996.
- Additional cast: Chase Newhart (Crabs), Don Stark (Hook), Bill Adler (Fingers).
- Additional credit: Frank Moreno (executive producer); Medusa, Chuck Day and Richard Person (additional music) and Don Jones (sound)
- Although the film flopped when it was first released, it has become a cult favorite over the years.
- Actress Joanne Nail turned down a role on the hit television show "Charlie's Angels" to appear in this film.
- Kitty Bruce is the daughter of comedian Lenny Bruce.
- Director Jack Hill collaborated with Francis Ford Coppola on the 1963 film "Dementia 13."
- The Rhino video is part of the company's "Johnny Legend Presents" series. It was remastered from the original prints & negatives and features brand new interviews with stars Robbie Lee, Joanne Nail, and director Jack Hill.
- The Buena Vista VHS and laserdisc versions, distributed by Quentin Tarantino's Rolling Thunder Pictures, feature an exclusive on-camera introduction by Tarantino before the film.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 23 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- UPC: 031398139058
- Shipping Weight: 0.18/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item