Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 5 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 21, 2008
- Originally Released: 1965
- Label: 20th Century Fox
Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
Packaging: Keep Case - Checkpoint, Sensormatic
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- 5.1 DTS Master Audio - English
- Subtitles - Spanish and French
Additional Release Material:
- "The Complete Special Features Library: Mission Dossier" Featuring Director Terence Young and Others
- Peter Hunt (Editor), John Hopkins (Writer) and Others
- "The Incredible World of James Bond - Original 1965 NBC Television Special"
- "A Child's Guide to Blowing Up a Motor Car - 1965 Ford Promotional Film On Location With Ken Adam"
Trailers - "Ministry of Propaganda" - Original Trailers and TV Spots
- "The Making of THUNDERBALL"
- "Bill Suitor: The Rocket Man Movies "
- "The THUNDERBALL Phenomenon"
- "The Secret History of THUNDERBALL"
- "Selling Bonds - Original 1965 Television Advertisements "
- "THUNDERBALL Boat Show Reel "
- Interactive Tour - "007 Mission Control" Interactive Guide Into the World of THUNDERBALL
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Do you mind if my friend sits this out - she's just dead."
- James Bond (Sean Connery) to a couple at a table when his dance partner is killed with a bullet meant for him.
Academy Awards 1965 -
Best Special Visual Effects
Total Film - 10/01/2000
"...Connery's Bond was never better than this..."
Based on Ian Fleming's 1961 novel, THUNDERBALL is 007 at his best. The fourth film in the Bond series finds the super spy (Sean Connery) battling a powerful organization named S.P.E.C.T.R.E. and its nefarious Number Two, Emilio Largo (Adolfo Celi), who has threatened to destroy Miami with an atomic weapon unless a huge ransom is paid. Of course, James Bond has something else in mind: a full-on infiltration of Largo's boat, the Disco Volante. With double the Bond girls (with Claudine Auger as the luscious Domino and Luciana Paluzzi as the villainous Fiona Volpe), this favored Bond outing features captivating underwater action sequences that hold up to this day. THUNDERBALL was nominated for a Best Special Effects Academy Award in 1965 and is not be confused with the "unofficial" 1983 James Bond film NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN, which also stars Connery and is based on the same novel.
Description by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment:
The thrills never let up as James Bond dives into this riveting adventure filled with explosive confrontations and amazing underwater action sequences! Sean Connery brings his characteristic style, humor and magnetism to Agent 007 as he travels to Nassau to track down villainous criminal Emilio Largo, who's threatening to plunge the world into a nuclear holocaust. From Bond's thrilling jetpack flight to his heart-stopping clash with Largo's killer sharks, Thunderball is a stupendous mixture of action, romance and edge-of-your-seat suspense!
In the fourth James Bond film, agents from the deadly SPECTRE organization have stolen two atomic bombs during a NATO training mission and demand a ransom from Great Britain of $280 million or they will drop them on two unnamed cities, killing millions of innocent people.
Based On A Novel |
James Bond |
Secret Agents |
Theatrical Release |
- Color by Technicolor; shot in Panavision.
- Film was remade and updated in 1983 as "Never Say Never Again."
- Budget was an estimated $5.5 million.
- Additional cast: Rik Van Nutter (Felix Leiter) and Molly Peters (Patricia).
- The Deluxe Collector's Edition spreads the 130 minute movie onto 5 sides in CAV. It includes two alternate audio tracks with commentary by members of the cast and crew. The score was remixed for stereo, and a bit of the image was shaved from the sides, leaving the aspect ratio slightly narrower than the original. Sides six and seven, in CLV, include:
"The Incredible World of James Bond"
(dir. Jack Haley, Jr., 1965, 50 min.)
two additional documentaries
Side eight, in CAV, includes:
trailers and commercials
still photos and posters