- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 41 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 19, 2007
- Originally Released: 1987
- Label: Maple Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 04/08/1987
"...A wry, intelligent, compassionate screenplay....[With] a brilliant performance in the title role by legit vet Sally Kirkland [and] an engaging screen debut by international fashion model Paulina Porizkova..."
Los Angeles Times - 11/13/1987
"...ANNA is the best kind of surprise -- a small, frequently funny, fine-boned film set in the worlds of the theater and movies which unexpectedly becomes a consummate study of love, alienation and loss..."
An aging Czech film star, exiled from her native country and struggling to establish her career in Manhattan, meets a peasant girl who idolizes the film star. But when the peasant girl's beauty opens the doors that shut the star out, she is forced to confront the realities of her buried past. Academy Award Nominations: Best Actress--Sally Kirkland.
Anna, an aging Czech movie star, comes to NYC seeking stateside stardom, only to find herself begging for meager roles. She takes in fellow Czech Krystyna, a young, beautiful peasant girl, and begins teaching her the ins and outs of the acting profession. But soon, Anna realizes she may have made a grave mistake. For the clever Krystyna not only becomes a screen star overnight, she steals her mentor's boyfriend, and adopts Anna's traumatic past as her own...
- Additional cast: Gibby Brand (Director #1); John Robert Tillotson (Director #2); Joe Aufiery (Stage Manager); Charles Randall (Agent); Mimi Wedell (Agent's secretary); Larry Pine (Baskin); Lola Pashalinksi (Producer); Steven Gilborn (Tonda).
- Additional credits: John Tatlock (set decoration); Ellen Dennis, Amy Herzig (assistant directors); Hali Breindel (costume design); Caroline Thomas (casting).
- Produced by Magnus Films.
- This film had its world premiere at the San Francisco Film Festival.
- "Anna" was shot in five weeks for a cost of nearly $1,000,000.