- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 42 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 3, 2009
- Originally Released: 1985
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Ultimate DVD - 07/01/2006
3 stars out of 5 -- "Director John Landis is at the top of his game here, as were the film's comic stars, who manage to carry the silly Cold War plot and make it effortlessly entertaining."
In John Landis's hilarious spy farce, Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd star as CIA losers Emmett Fitz-Hume and Austin Milbarge, respectively. When the two men are caught cheating on their Foreign Service Board exams, they get promoted instead of fired. Little do they know that the government considers them perfectly disposable, setting them up as decoys in Pakistan. When Austin and Emmett are dropped off in the desert in order to mislead Soviet spies, the CIA never expects to see them again. The unsuspecting pair survive a series of near misses, including fighting Pakastani rebels and hoardes of ninjas, but prove to be up to the task and soon find themselves embroiled in a wacko general's (Steve Forrest) suicidal defense plan to start a war. It's up to the two unlikely candidates to stop the onset of WWIII. Chase and Aykroyd generate great comedy in this homage to Bob Hope/Bing Crosby road movies. Look for numerous cameos, including Bob Hope himself.
Scams And Cons |
- Director (Landis's) trademark SYNW, apppears on a recruitment poster in the office of the commanding officer of the Army training post.
- Chevy Chase's role was originallly intended for Joe Piscopo.
- Director cameos include Michael Apted, Martin Brest, Joel Coen, Terry Gilliam, Frank Oz, and Sam Raimi. Star cameos include B.B. King and Bob Hope.