Dave Van Ronk Inside Dave Van Ronk
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: January 22, 1990
- Label: Fantasy
- 1.Samson and Delilah
- 2.Cocaine Blues
- 3.You've Been a Good Old Wagon
- 4.Fixin' to Die
- 5.Hang Me, Oh Hang Me
- 6.Long John
- 7.Chicken Is Nice
- 8.He Was a Friend of Mine
- 9.Motherless Child
- 11.Mr. Noah
- 12.Come Back Baby
- 13.Poor Lazarus
- 14.House Carpenter
- 15.The Cruel Ship's Captain
- 16.Sprig of Thyme
- 17.Talking Cancer Blues
- 18.I Buyed Me a Little Dog
- 19.Lady Gay
- 20.Fair and Tender Ladies
- 21.Brian O'Lynne
- 22.Shanty Man's Life
- 23.Silver Dagger
- 24.Kentucky Moonshiner
- 25.He Never Came Back
2 LPs on 1 CD: FOLKSINGER (1962)/INSIDE DAVE VAN RONK (1962).
Solo performer: Dave Von Ronk (vocals, 6 & 12-string guitars, dulcimer, autoharp).
Recorded in April 1962. Includes liner notes by Ira Mayer.
Digitally remastered by Joe Tarantino (Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Dave Van Ronk (vocals, guitar, 12-string guitar, banjo, dulcimer, harp, autoharp).
Liner Note Author: Ira Mayer.
Recording information: 1964.
Photographer: Don Schlitten.
Unknown Contributor Role: Dave Van Ronk.
Ten years after they were recorded together in April 1962 for the Folkore imprint of the independent jazz label Prestige Records, Dave Van Ronk's albums, Dave Van Ronk, Folksinger and Inside Dave Van Ronk, packaged together here in a two-fer by Fantasy Records (which has acquired Prestige), sound remarkably fresh. At the time, Van Ronk was something of an anomaly, since he was neither a smooth-singing commercial folksinger nor a singer/songwriter, but rather a performer steeped in folk-blues tradition, addressing the songs of progenitors like the Rev. Gary Davis in his own distinctive style. That may have meant that, as a sleeve note here puts it, "the full public acceptance he so convincingly deserves has somehow eluded him," but it also means he has turned out to be very influential, particularly on the wave of blues-rock artists who emerged in the late '60s. On these tracks, he revives songs from Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music like "House Carpenter," along with folk-blues standards such as "Samson & Delilah," "Cocaine Blues," and "Stackalee," accompanying himself primarily on his fingerpicked acoustic guitar, but also on dulcimer and autoharp on some of the Inside Dave Van Ronk selections. His gruff voice, which seemed so out of place in the early-'60s folk revival now seems more familiar in the wake of Joe Cocker and Rod Stewart, not to mention Bob Dylan, on whom he was also a major influence. (Dylan's own versions of some of these songs have appeared on bootlegs.) Thus, the Dave Van Ronk of the Prestige sessions (who is not all that different from the Dave Van Ronk who made his first two albums for Folkways or the Dave Van Ronk of 1972) sounds even more impressive after a decade than he did the first time around. ~ William Ruhlmann
Dave Van Ronk...And the Tin Pan Bended and the Story Ended... (Live)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 16 ratings.
Based on 16 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Folk genre:
- Burl Ives The Best of Little Bitty Tear (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Glenn Yarbrough Let Me Choose Life / Yarbrough Country (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Les Paul / Mary Ford The Complete US & UK Hits 1945-61 (2-CD) ~ $14.22 LABOR DAY
- The Kingston Trio Greatest Hits (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- Peter, Paul and Mary The Very Best of Peter, Paul & Mary (CD) ~ $16.13 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE