Kathryn Tickell Gathering
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Kathryn Tickell ~ Debateable Lands ~ $13.78
- Released: March 1, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Park Records
- 1.Rain Check
- 2.The Lads of Alnwick / Sunderland Lasses / Peacocks March
- 4.Bettaille Dans la P‚tit Arbre / Acharavi Waltz, La
- 5.The Gathering
- 6.Kates House
- 7.Real Blues Reel
- 8.St. Kilda Wedding / Pjotr
- 9.Green Brechans O'Branton / I Saw My Love Come Come Passing by Me
- 10.Tune for Matt Robson / Kathleen
- 11.Mr. Nelson's Birthday Waltz
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Kathryn Tickell (Northumbrian pipes, fiddle); Ian Carr (guitar); Brendan Power (harmonica); Paul Flush (piano); Neil Harland (bass).
Recorded at Redesdale Studios, Northumberland, Ireland. Includes liner notes by Kathryn Tickell.
Personnel: Kathryn Tickell (fiddle); Ian Carr (guitar); Brendan Power (harmonica); Paul Flush (piano).
Audio Mixer: Jim Sutherland.
Recording information: Redesdale Studios, Northumberland.
Photographers: Graham Oliver ; John Faulkner .
Arrangers: Ian Carr ; Kathryn Tickell.
The sixth album by this young talent again finds Kathryn Tickell displaying her exemplary skill on both fiddle and Northumbrian pipes. The Gathering consists of a wide range of traditional styles, Tickell originals and even a Brendan Power tune -- "Real Blues Reel" -- which actually has harmonica whiz Power and Tickell (on pipes) performing in perfect unison with one another. That unlikely pairing is the by-product of their first meeting at a Cork music festival where, unbeknownst to either artist, they were scheduled to perform on stage together. Tickell possesses many strengths on both instruments and displays them quite naturally and very tastefully. "Lads of Alnwick" requires both speed and precision on the pipes to do the piece justice, and at the risk of sounding clich‚d, she delivers an "infectious melody" on an old favorite, "Peacock's March." "La Bettaille Dans La Petit Arbre" is an uptempo Cajun waltz which she plays painstakingly on fiddle, and "Tune for Matt Robeson" is an introspective fiddle tune she wrote in memory of her grandfather. Through it all, her band -- Ian Carr on acoustic guitar and Neil Harland on bass -- provides Tickell with adept accompaniment and periodically gets to showcase their expert abilities. ~ Dave Sleger
Strange But True: 25 Years of Friends & Tunes (CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Keep on Going: The Rebel & Melodeon Recordings (CD)
$12.57 Super Savings
Lonesome and Blue: The Complete County Recordings (CD)(2)
$12.57 Super Savings
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)(5)
$19.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE