Patrick Street On the Fly
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Planxty ~ Planxty ~ $16.18
- Released: October 22, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Loftus Music
Dirty Linen - p.85"[I]t is the proud and pure vocals of ON THE FLY that create a quiet elegance, and add an unusual breadth and depth to Patrick Street's already heady mix of traditional Irish music."
- 1.Slip Jigs: Na Ceannabhain Bhana (The Little Fair Canacans) / Paidin O Raifeartaigh
- 2.Reels: Martin Wynne's / Jackie Coleman's / Malynn's Fancy
- 3.Song: Sergeant Small
- 4.Jigs: Happy To Meet Sorry To Part / Old Apples In Winter / Cherish the Ladies
- 5.Air / Jig: Seanamhac Tube Station
- 6.Song: The Rich Irish Lady
- 7.Reels: Down the Broom / The Gatehouse Maid / Mulvihill's
- 8.Song: The Galway Shawl
- 9.Hornpipes: The Long Acre / 'Cuz' Teahan's
- 10.Song: Erin Go Bragh
- 11.Polkas: The Return Of Spring / The Mountain Path
- 12.Reels: The Boys Of Malin / John Stenson's No.1 & 2
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Patrick Street: Brendan Hearty (harmonium); Ged Foley, Jackie Daly, John Carty, Kevin Burke, Andy Irvine.
Personnel: Ged Foley (vocals, guitar); Andy Irvine (vocals, bouzouki, mandola, mandolin, harmonica); John Carty (banjo, fiddle, flute); Kevin Burke (fiddle); Jackie Daly (accordion).
Audio Mixer: Paul Gurney.
Recording information: Scalp, Co Clare, Ireland; Weir Hall, Larkin Abbot, Surrey, England.
Photographer: Brian Farrell.
Patrick Street albums don't come along every day, or even every year. The musicians are certainly the cream of the crop, with a long pedigree between them, as well as great skill and knowledge of the tradition. They're at their best on the tunes, if only because Andy Irvine, for all that he's been around, isn't the world's greatest Irish singer. That said, he does a fair job on "Sergeant Small" and especially the lovely "The Galway Shawl," a piece that deserves to be better known. The vast majority of the music is from the deep tradition, plus one each by John Carty and Kevin Burke, and the playing, as should be expected, is majestic throughout. The band gives a stately quality to Irish music, rather than the raucous session-type feel injected by so many groups, and with it comes a strong dignity. Former member Jackie Daly guests on sets of polkas and reels, his accordion adding some bottom end to the sound. As always, this Patrick Street album is worth the wait. ~ Chris Nickson
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE