- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 41 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 23, 2001
- Originally Released: 1984
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Additional Release Material:
- Alternate Ending
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 12/01/1984
"...A requiem to unrequited English passion, and a song of hope for British cinema..."
New York Times - 08/09/1985
"...Very good....Giving the film its special edge is the striking performance of Miranda Richardson..."
Los Angeles Times - 08/14/1985
"...A ripe, dark new British film....The technical side of DANCE WITH A STRANGER is impeccable..."
USA Today - 01/26/2001
"...So immaculately designed and shot that you feel you're back in the mid-1950s..."
The moving true story of Ruth Ellis, the last woman to be executed in Great Britain. The last man executed in that country was later found to be innocent, a regrettable (to say the least) incident which led to the abandonment there of the practice.
In the repressed atmosphere of 1950s Britain, Marilyn Monroe-lookalike Ruth Ellis is the ultimate bad girl. A divorced, former prostitute, Ellis now works as a hostess in a nightclub where she meets dissolute rich boy David Blakeley. Handsome, insouciant and cruel, Blakeley is a representative of the haute-bourgeois world Ellis longs to enter. Consumed with desire for a man and a social standing she can never possess, Ellis' obsessive relationship with Blakeley spirals ever deeper into despair and violence.
Theatrical Release |
- Screen debut for British actress Miranda Richardson.
- Co-produced by First Picture Company.