Ramblin' Jack Elliott Country Style / Live
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Ramblin' Jack Elliott ~ South Coast ~ $16.18
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: August 24, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Fantasy
Dirty Linen - 2-3/00, p.65"...just Elliot, his guitar, his craggy voice and great songs....The very long original liner notes is included..."
- 1.Mean Mama Blues
- 2.Low and Lonely
- 3.Wreck of the Old '97
- 4.Old Shep
- 5.Washash Connonball
- 6.Beautiful Brown Eyes
- 7.Lovesick Blues
- 8.Arthritis Blues
- 9.Take Me Back and Try Me One More Time
- 10.Tennessee Stud
- 11.Those Brown Eyes
- 13.Soldier's Last Letter
- 14.Mule Skinner Blues
- 15.Cool Water
- 16.Talking Intro
- 17.Talking Miner Blues
- 18.Boll Weevil
- 19.How Long Blues
- 20.Salty Dog Blues
- 21.Tryin' Knots in the Devil's Tail
- 22.Hobo's Lullaby
- 23.Talking Intro
- 24.Talking Sailor Blues
- 25.Rock Island Line
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
2 LPs on 1 CD: COUNTRY STYLE (1962)/LIVE AT THE SECOND FRET (1962).
Personnel: Ramblin' Jack Elliottt (vocals, guitar, harmonica).
Engineers: Hal Hustig, Esmond Edwards, Shel Kagan.
Tracks 1-13 recorded on April 12, 1962. Originally released on Prestige/International (13045). Tracks 14-25 recorded live at the Second Fret, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on May 18, 1962. Originally released on Prestige/International (13065). Includes liner notes by John Greenway and Shel Kagan.
Digitally remastered by Kirk Felton (1999, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Ramblin' Jack Elliott (vocals, guitar, harmonica).
Audio Remasterer: Kirk Felton.
Liner Note Authors: John Greenway; Shel Kagan.
Recording information: Second Fret, Philadelphia, PA (04/12/1962-05/18/1962).
A two-for-one single-disc reissue of two 1962 albums: the studio date Country Style and the live club recording At the Second Fret (here retitled Live). With a couple dozen songs in all, you get a good representation of Elliott's repertoire of the time: old country songs ("The Wreck of the Old 97," "Mule Skinner Blues"), old-school country tunes ("Wabash Cannonball," Ernest Tubb's "Take Me Back and Try Me One More Time"), blues ("How Long Blues"), and naturally a few Woody Guthrie tunes. He's trying to sound like Guthrie a lot of the time, of course, and as an inadvertent consequence, sounds similar to very early Bob Dylan (who at the very beginning of his career was also trying to sound like Woody Guthrie). He's not as good a singer as Guthrie or Dylan, and contributed no original material to these sets. That gives this something of a dry historical artifact feel, although the live portion of the disc has a slightly warmer atmosphere than Country Style. ~ Richie Unterberger
Bread & RosesFestival of Acoustic Music - Greek Theater, U.C. Berkeley (CD)
Junior BrownLive at the Continental Club: The Austin Experience (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Freddy Fender Before The Next Teardrop Falls (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Charlie Rich Early Years / The Memphis Sound (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Fun: 43-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE