- Released: 1997
- Label: Sugarhill
- 1.Cotton Patch Rag
- 2.Stanley Brothers Medley: Fling Ding / Hard Times / Daybreak In Dixie
- 3.Sweet Laree
- 4.Memories of Mozart - (by Mozart)
- 5.Green in the Blue Medley: The Strayaway Child / An Druimfhionn Donn Dilis / McCahill's Reel
- 6.Tom & Jerry
- 7.Bill Monroe Medley: Get Up John / The Gold Rush / Roanoke
- 8.Sally Ann - (bonus track)
- 9.Blackbird, The - (bonus track)
- 10.Foggy Mountain Special - (bonus track)
Contains 3 bonus tracks.
Personnel: Dan Crary (guitar); John Hickman, B?la Fleck (banjo); Sam Bush (mandolin); Mark O'Connor , Byron Berline (fiddle).
Recording information: City Recording Service, Hollywood, CA; Studio By The Pond, Hendersonville, TN.
Photographer: Jim McGuire .
GUITAR opens with "Cotton Patch Rag," defying the listener to sit still. This is good-time music first and foremost. It's also a loving tribute to tradition and virtuosity by guitar master Dan Crary and his bluegrass cohorts. Crary's whistle-clean flat picking is displayed brilliantly on the Stanley Brothers' "Fling Ding," while Sam Bush's scampering mandolin adds to the percolating fun-fest of "Daybreak in Dixie." The tongue-in-cheek "Memories of Mozart" presents some very familiar Mozartian themes in a bluegrass setting, taking a risk that pays off.
Mark O'Conner and Byron Berline on fiddle and Bela Fleck and John Hickman on banjo contribute beautiful solo turns and ensemble work. The level of technical brilliance on display here rivals that of arguably more famous guitarists--perhaps a lingering bias against bluegrass as being corny or outdated works against its practitioners. Based on the light, heat and joy released on the "Bill Monroe Medley" and throughout GUITAR, these guys ought to be more well-known than they are.