Eliza Carthy Eliza Carthy & The Kings of Calicutt
- Released: July 1, 1997
- Label: Topic Records
- 1.Trip To Fowey / Cuckold Came Out Of The Amery / Indian Queen
- 2.Whirly Whorl
- 3.Bonaparte's Retreat
- 4.Little Bear / Wobbly Cat / Upton Stick Dance
- 5.Mother, Go Make My Bed / Flower Of Swiss Cottage
- 6.Good Morning, Mr. Walker
- 7.Holm Band Tune / Dave Robert's Tune / Jemima's Jig
- 8.Sheffield Park / Polly Bishop's Slip Jig / Roger De Coverley
- 9.Fisher Boy
- 10.If You Will Not Have Me, You May Let Me Go / The Pullet / The Storyteller
& The Kings Of Calicutt.
Eliza Carthy & The Kings Of Calicutt (vocals, mandolin, fiddle, viola); Maclaine Colston (vocals, hammered dulcimer, snare drum); Sal Rose (vocals, melodeon); Barnaby Stradling (bass); Andi Wells (drums).
Additional personnel: John McCusker (violin); Jak Duff, Toby Shioppey (horns); Conrad Ivitsky (double bass).
Personnel: Eliza Carthy (vocals, mandolin, fiddle, viola); Maclaine Colston (vocals, hammer dulcimer, snare drum); Saul Rose (vocals, melodeon); John McCusker (violin); Toby Shippey (horns); Andi Wells (drums).
Photographer: A.J. Wilkinson.
Arrangers: Kings of Calicutt; Eliza Carthy; Maclaine Colston; Saul Rose.
Eliza Carthy's second album, Eliza Carthy & the Kings of Calicutt, is a wonderful set of traditional English folk that sounds fresh and alive, not sterile and ancient. Carthy has a superb ear, assembling a set of traditional songs that have provocative lyrics and strong melodies, and then she is brave enough to let herself and her band tear through them with passion, playing them as if they were written today, not a century ago. And that's what makes the album work: the songs are great, and they're played with a vital vigor that makes them sound fresh. ~ Thom Owens
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!