Greg Brown Slant 6 Mind
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 28, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Red House
Musician - 11/97, p.90"...heavily detailed, folky narrative....builds on the triumphs of last year's FURTHER IN...capturing the spontaneous feel of the singer's husky baritone and no-nonsense acoustic guitar strummings...an understated mix that draws as much attention to the spaces in between as the notes and words..."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Greg Brown (vocals, acoustic guitar); Bo Ramsey (electric guitar, slide guitar, background vocals); Kelly Joe Phelps (acoustic lap & lap steel guitars, background vocals); Bob Black (banjo); Al Murphy (fiddle); Dave Moore (harmonica); Gordy Johnson (acoustic bass); Paul V. Griffith (drums, percussion, rattles, bones, furniture).
Recorded at Pachyderm Studios, Cannon Falls, Minnesota.
SLANT 6 MIND was nominated for a 1999 Grammy for Best Traditional Folk Album.
Personnel: Greg Brown (vocals, guitar, acoustic guitar); Kelly Joe Phelps (vocals, acoustic guitar, steel guitar, lap steel guitar); Bo Ramsey (vocals, electric guitar, slide guitar); Bob Black (banjo); Al Murphy (fiddle); Dave Moore (harmonica); Gordon Johnson (acoustic bass); Paul Griffith (drums).
Audio Mixer: Tom Tucker.
Recording information: Pachyderm Studio, Cannon Falls, MN.
Photographer: Jim Herrington.
SLANT 6 MIND, Greg Brown's 13th album, finds this singer-songwriter at the peak of his considerable powers. His loyal cult following has watched Brown grow over the years from sharp-but-sentimental flatlands folkie to a dark, acerbic observer of the human condition with a deep, husky voice that is the perfect tool for delivering his soulful tunes. As usual, the production is just juicy enough to keep things interesting, but sparse enough to cast Brown's homespun existentialism in stark relief.
The sarcastic humor of "Mose Allison Played Here" and the simmering sensuality of "Hurt So Nice" contrast the emotionally-ravaged perspective of "Whatever It Was" and "Loneliness House." Brown's co-producer and longtime guitarist Bo Ramsey is still the right-hand-man-from-heaven, providing the perfect complement to Brown's songs and voice. Throughout, Brown cements his reputation as an important voice in American songwriting, on a par with the icon of your choice.
Greg BrownDream City: Essential Recordings. Volume 2 1997-2006 (2-CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 17 ratings.
Based on 17 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The King of Country Music: The Complete Foundation... (CD)
$334.79 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Bob Wills Sings & Plays/In Concert (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Eddy Arnold Famous Country Music Makers (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Charlie Daniels The Door (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Lee Greenwood The Best of Lee Greenwood (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE