Girl of the Night
Warner Archive Collection (series)
A sympathetic portrait of a young girl raised in a loveless home who drifts into a life of prostitution. Friendless and lonely, she's an easy target for her boozed-up madam and sadistic pimp...
|You Save:||$3.60 (20% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 33 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: December 14, 2010
- Originally Released: 1960
- Label: Warner Archive Collection (MOD)
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Kay Medford, Anne Francis, Lloyd Nolan & John Kerr|
|Directed by||Joseph Cates|
|Screenwriting by||Raphael Blau & Ted Berkman|
|Composition by||Sol Kaplan|
|Director of Photography:||Joseph Brun|
Description by OLDIES.com:
"An Exciting Step Forward into a New Realm of Adult Motion Pictures!" promised the ads for 1960's Girl of the Night and there was truth to the claim. The film was rare for its time, a sympathetic portrait of a young girl (Anne Francis in a strong performance) raised in a loveless home who drifts into a life of prostitution. Friendless and lonely, she's an easy target for her boozed-up madam (Kay Medford) and sadistic pimp (John Kerr)... until a compassionate doctor (Lloyd Nolan) helps her unlock the secrets of her past and gain a sense of self-worth. Based on Dr. Harold Greenwald's academic work The Call Girl: A Social and Psychoanalytical Study, this is a fascinating curio, a reminder of an era that was just coming to grips with the sordid side of reality.
Anne Francis stars as a young prostitute in search of a way out. She seeks out the help of a discreet psychiatrist (Lloyd Nolan), to find out why she has doomed herself to her sordid profession and why she can't seem to shake loose. At this point the film becomes a virtual monologue for Anne Francis, who is magnificent. GIRL OF THE NIGHT never quite rises above its exploitation trappings, but Ms. Francis' performance is worth the admission price alone. The film was advertised as a "case study", based on the book THE CALL GIRL by Dr. Harold Greenwald.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd (FS) (DVD-R)(15)
$15.98 on SALE
The Graduate (WS) (Decades Collection) (Includes Bonus... (DVD)(270)
$3.98 on SALE
Top ranking DVD-R:
- Forbidden Cinema Presents: Vintage Smokers From the 1920s, 30s and 40s - Volume 2 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Zorro - The Triumph of Zorro (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Forbidden Cinema Presents: Vintage Smokers From the 1920s and 30s (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Banned Cartoons: A Historical Archive of the Shameful Racial Abuses of Hollywood's Yesteryear (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Ultra-Rare Pre-Code Comedies (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE