- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 45 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 12, 2009
- Originally Released: 1988
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.78
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.78
- Dolby Digital - English
- Dolby Digital - Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 10/21/1988
"...[Hackman's] quintessential decency and ordinariness have never seemed more affecting....An effective cast and a fair amount of grit..."
Down behind enemy lines during the Vietnam War, an officer must rely on a scout pilot to risk his life and his military career to rescue him. Based on the book by William C. Anderson.
Based on a true story, this is the heroic tale of an American officer forced to parachute into enemy territory when his plane is shot down during the Vietnam War. A missile intelligence expert with no combat experience, he must survive in the dangerous jungle on his wits alone -- until a reconnaissance flyer, nicknamed "Bird Dog", spots him. With limited radio contact and some expert flying, the daring pilot attempts to rescue the officer before our boys-in-green devastate the countryside with a napalm attack.
Theatrical Release |
- Based on true events in the lives of Lieutenant Colonel Iceal Hambleton and Captain Bartholomew "Bird Dog" Clark, which occurred during the Vietnam War.
- Budget estimate $10 million.
- Color by DeLuxe.
- Shot on location in Borneo, Malaysia, with the cooperation of the Malaysian military.