- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 47 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 23, 2010
- Originally Released: 1966
- Label: Sony Pictures Home
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Empire - 09/01/2007
4 stars out of 5 -- "[A] delicious black comedy....The reason to see it is the array of grotesque comic cameos....Hugely underrated."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Set in Victorian England, The Wrong Box is a British black comedy with a splendid cast including John Mills, Ralph Richardson, Michael Caine, Peter Cook, Dudley Moore and last, but definitely not least, Peter Sellers. A strange rule of inheritance allows only the last remaining survivor of a family of siblings to get the sizable legacy, precipitating a dangerous contest between two elderly brothers (Mills and Richardson). Their families get involved too, sparking a wild chase and absurd comedy as they attempt to be the last man standing. Directed by Bryan Forbes (The L-Shaped Room, Seance on a Wet Afternoon). Newly remastered.
This fine black comedy features an all-star cast. Two brothers attempt to do each other in with extremely elaborate methods so they can become the sole heir to a large estate.
The last survivors of a tontine (an old-fashioned lottery-based insurance) are two elderly Victorian brothers who try to murder each other for the inheritance.
- Color by Technicolor.
- "Certain funeral and military airs played by her majesty Queen Victoria's Temperance Seven, who actually number 8."
- Film debut for actors/comedians Dudley Moore and Peter Cook.
- Released theatrically in the USA May 26, 1966.