- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 51 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 18, 2000
- Originally Released: 1981
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Dolby Digital Mono - French
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
- Additional Products:
- Collectible Behind-the-Scenes Booklet
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 07/22/1981
"...It's a good yarn, remindful of some of Alfred Hitchcock and Fritz Lang's wartime [films]..."
New York Times - 07/24/1981
"...An ambitious, energetic thriller..."
USA Today - 06/03/2014
"Sutherland and Nelligan give memorably pitch-perfect performances and the island vistas are gorgeous."
A German spy washes up on a small island off the British coast and is taken in by a lonely woman whose husband was paralyzed years ago and hardly speaks to her. Her desire for sex is immediately apparent to the equally lonely spy (Sutherland), who quickly seduces the wife and begins to plot his escape from the island so that he can report back to Germany with news about the impending D-Day invasion. Based on the best seller by Ken Follett, EYE OF THE NEEDLE was helmed by the director of RETURN OF THE JEDI and features an incredibly icy performance by Sutherland.
A suspenseful adaptation of Ken Follett's best-selling 1978 spy novel.
Master Nazi spy Faber travels to the remote Storm Island in Scotland, where he is to await a German submarine. His assignment: provide the U-boat's officers with information about the upcoming Allied invasion of Normandy. When Faber meets Lucy, the frustrated wife of a paraplegic, he begins an affair with her.
Will Lucy figure out who Faber is and stop him from successfully completing his mission'
Theatrical Release |
- Released theatrically in the USA July 24, 1981.
- Color by Technicolor.