- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 9 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: February 24, 1998
- Originally Released: 1962
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Dual Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.75
- Dolby Digital Stereo - English
- Dolby Digital Stereo - French
- Dolby Digital Stereo - Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Production Interviews: Frank Sinatra - Star, George Axelrod - Producer, John Frankenheimer - Director
- Audio Commentary: John Frankenheimer - Director
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Film Comment - 11/01/1987
"...It looked good then; it looks even better now....[Sinatra] is extremely moving..."
Los Angeles Times - 01/12/1988
"...THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE proves that its fascination is intact..."
Total Film - 01/01/2001
"...Easily the best and most complex of all Cold War thrillers..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 12/07/2003
"THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE feels astonishingly contemporary; its astringent political satire still bites, and its story has uncanny contemporary echoes."
Rolling Stone - 08/05/2004
"Frank Sinatra excels as a Korean war vet....And Angela Lansbury is a marvel..."
Based On A Novel |
Essential Cinema |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: October 24, 1962.
- Shooting locations: Los Angeles and New York City.
- The film was tied up for 25 years in a legal dispute between United Artists and Frank Sinatra, who believed the film's profits were being underreported.
- THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1994.
- THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE is number 67 on the American Film Institute's list of America's 100 Greatest Movies.
- Frank Sinatra wanted Lucille Ball in the mother role played by Angela Lansbury.