The Move Shazam
- Released: September 15, 1998
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Repertoire
Rolling Stone - 5/14/70, p.52"...SHAZAM is a brutally energetic rock and roll album....The Move must be kept going to give us more albums like this one."
- 1.Hello Susie
- 2.Beautiful Daughter
- 3.Cherry Blossom Clinic Revisited
- 4.Fields of People
- 5.Don't Make My Baby Blue
- 6.The Last Thing on My Mind
- 7.So You Want to Be a Rock & Roll Star - (live)
- 8.Stephanie Knows Who - (live)
- 9.Something Else - (live)
- 10.It'll Be Me - (live)
- 11.Sunshine Help Me - (live)
- 12.Piece of My Heart - (previously unreleased, live)
- 13.Too Much in Love - (previously unreleased, live)
- 14.(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher - (previously unreleased, live)
- 15.Sunshine Help Me - (previously unreleased, live)
This 1998 reissue contains 9 bonus tracks not on the original release.
The Move: Roy Wood, Carl Wayne, Rick Price, Bev Bevan.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Rick Price (vocals, guitar); Carl Wayne (vocals).
Liner Note Authors: H.J. Simon; Chris Welch .
The Move was always a hard band to pin down. They began by bringing a hard-edged American rock & roll sensibility to '60s British psych-pop, alternating between rave-ups and trip-outs. By the time of SHAZAM, one of the group's strongest efforts, the sound was most comparable to S.F. SORROW-era Pretty Things. There are hard-rock riffs aplenty, but they're employed in the service of long, ambitious songs, occasionally of a conceptual nature. The lengthy centerpiece, "Cherry Blossom Clinic," is indicative of SHAZAM's sound. "Clinic" tells the story of life inside a mental institution in a constantly shifting tour de force that moves from spoken-word fragments to heavy proto-progressive riffs to fanciful folk/baroque acoustic guitar tapestries.
On the other side of the coin, the band wrings some crunchingly heavy, Led Zep-like blues-rock out of some unlikely source material on the Barry Mann/Cynthia Weill composition "Don't Make My Baby Blue". Similarly, Tom Paxton's simple folk standard "The Last Thing On My Mind" is transformed into a moody, cinematic, seven-and-a-half-minute psychedelic rock epic. As if all this weren't enough, there's also nine (!) juicy bonus tracks.
Nuggets II: Original Artyfacts From The British Empire &... (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 22 ratings.
Based on 22 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE