10cc Deceptive Bends
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$8.67 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.32 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 9, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Universal I.S.
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
This was prepared from the original master tapes.
This 12-track remastered release by British pop band 10cc includes the hit "The Things We Do For Love," and three bonus tracks.
Personnel: Graham Gouldman (vocals, guitar, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, 12-string guitar, dobro, autoharp, organ, bass guitar, tambourine, triangle, hand claps, background vocals); Eric Stewart (vocals, guitar, electric guitar, slide guitar, piano, electric piano, organ, keyboards, Moog synthesizer, maracas, background vocals); Del Newman (strings); Tony Spath (oboe, piano); Paul Burgess (piano, vibraphone, drums, congas, claves, tambourine, triangle, wood block, hand claps, percussion, bells, gong); Jean Roussel (electric piano, organ, keyboards); Terry Bozzio (drums).
Unknown Contributor Role: Paul Burgess.
Arranger: Del Newman.
When Kevin Godley and Lol Creme left 10cc in 1976 to pursue a solo career, many thought it was the death knell for the group. However, Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman kept the group alive as a duo (with the assistance of percussionist Paul Burgess) and turned in a surprisingly solid album with 1977's Deceptive Bends. It may lack the devil-may-care wackiness that popped up on previous 10cc albums, but it makes up for it by crafting a series of lush, catchy pop songs that are witty in their own right. Deceptive Bends also produced a pair of notable hits for the group: "Good Morning Judge" told the comical tale of a career criminal over a hook-laden, surprisingly funky pop backing while "The Things We Do for Love" was an irresistible Beatles pastiche that showcased 10cc's mastery of pop vocal harmonies. "People in Love," a surprisingly straightforward ballad built on a gorgeous string arrangement, also became a modest chart success. The remainder of the material doesn't stand out as sharply as these hits, but each of the tracks offers up plenty of naggingly catchy pop hooks, oodles of catchy riffs, and surprising twists in their arrangements. Highlights among the non-hit tracks include "Marriage Bureau Rendezvous," a satire of dating services set to a lilting soft rock melody, and "You've Got a Cold," a portrait of illness-influenced misery set to a percolating pop melody. The only place where Deceptive Bends slips is on "Feel the Benefit," the lengthy medley that closes the album. Its excessive length and hazy lyrics make it less satisfying than the album's shorter tunes, but it is kept afloat by a catchy, mock-Spanish midsection and some lovely string arrangements. All in all, Deceptive Bends is the finest achievement of 10cc's post-Godley and Creme lineup and well worth a spin for anyone who enjoyed Sheet Music or The Original Soundtrack. ~ Donald A. Guarisco
Takin' Care of Business / The Things We Do For Love (45)
$1.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 19 ratings.
Based on 19 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 5 (2-CD) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the Seventies - Volume 2, CD #1: 20 Original Hits ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Soft Rock 70'S (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE