- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 39 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 28, 2001
- Originally Released: 1977
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Dolby Digital Mono - French
- Dolby Digital Mono - Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 07/14/1977
"...A Saturday night movie that needn't be ashamed to come out the rest of the week....[Carrera is] a sacred mystery of life all by herself."
Lancaster gives a memorable performance as the demented Doctor Moreau who performs bizarre genetic experiments on animals--turning them into man-beasts known as humanimals. His experiments continue uninterrupted until a mariner named Braddock shipwrecks on Moreau's island. Shocked by the immoral nature of Moreau's work, Braddock tries to stop the mad Doctor but finds that he has an army of humanimals to reckon with first. Based on H.G. Wells' 1896 novel.
Mad Doctor |
- Remake of the 1933 film "Island of Lost Souls" directed by Erle C. Kenton.
- Produced by Cinema 77.
- Shot in Movielab color on St. Croix and the US Virgin Islands.
- Additonal cast: John Gillespie (Tigerman) and Fumio Demura (Hyenaman).
- Animals provided by Enchanted Village, Inc.; Titles and opticals by Pacific Title.
- Distributed on video by GoodTimes in their Platinum Series.