Sony Screen Classics by Request (series)
|You Save:||$9.01 (33% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
More products that might interest you:
- Classic Western Collection: 20 Full Color Vintage Movie Postcards ~ $9.98 (Save 33%)
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 21 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 20, 2010
- Originally Released: 1950
- Label: Sony Pictures Home
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Randolph Scott, Frank Faylen, Dorothy Malone, Forrest Tucker & George Macready|
|Directed by||Gordon Douglas|
|Screenwriting by||Rowland Brown, G.W. George & George F. Slavin|
|Composition by||Arthur Morton|
|Director of Photography:||Charles Lawton, Jr.|
Description by OLDIES.com:
A fine early example of Randolph Scott's long partnership with producer Harry Joe Brown (later known together as "Ranown") which would result in iconic films such as Decision at Sundown, Ride Lonesome and Buchanan Rides Alone. Here, Scott portrays Barclay, his usual mysterious lone rider, but he gets entangled in the company of others sooner and more completely, than in later films. Forrest Tucker plays Tanner, an escaped convict with a hidden stash of gold, who commandeers Barclay's assistance. George Macready (Gilda) is a corrupt landowner, whose daughter (played by Dorothy Malone, Written on the Wind) is the first to size up Barclay when the stranger comes to town. Another unique aspect of the independent productions of the Brown/Scott partnership was the use of less expensive and less established processes for shooting color films; The Nevadan was filmed in Cinecolor, a two-color process, which results in a unique color palette completely unlike the famous Technicolor process which was the standard for major color films from the era. Newly remastered.
Those westerns produced by the team of star Randolph Scott and producer Harry Joe Brown tended to be several notches above the norm, and THE NEVADAN is no exception. Scott is cast as U.S. marshal Andrew Barkeley, who goes undercover in a federal pen to get a line on $250,000 in stolen money. Barkeley arranges for chief suspect Tom Tanner (Forrest Tucker) to escape from jail, the better to trail Tanner to the hiding place for the loot. If it were that easy, of course, the film would be over in 15 minutes. Complicating matters is avaricious rancher Edward Galt (George Macready), who also covets the stolen cash. Dorothy Malone adds "heart interest" as Galt's daughter. The chase and fistfight scenes are well-integrated into the suspenseful screenplay. The director was Gordon Douglas, an efficient craftsman who nonetheless wasn't nearly as skilled as Randy Scott's future collaborator Budd Boetticher.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 9,125
- UPC: 043396372795
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking titles in the Westerns genre:
- 3 Pack Westerns: The Way West / Escort West / Chato's Land (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Soldier Blue (DVD) ~ $7 on SALE
- The Randolph Scott Round-Up, Volume 1: 6 Classic Westerns (2-DVD) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- The Randolph Scott Round-Up, Volume 2: 6 Classic Westerns (2-DVD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Wells Fargo (DVD-R) ~ $14.99 on SALE
Top ranking DVD-R:
- Banned Cartoons: A Historical Archive of the Shameful Racial Abuses of Hollywood's Yesteryear (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Charlie Chan 3-Film Collection (The Red Dragon / The Feathered Serpent / The Sky Dragon) (2-Disc) (DVD-R) ~ $21.32 on SALE
- Hal Roach's Early Pathe Comedies (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Forbidden Cinema Presents: Vintage Smokers From the 1920s and 30s (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- The Night of Medusa (2016) / Slave Girls on the Moon (2014) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE