- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 56 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 4, 2006
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case - Checkpoint
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary
- Introduction: Danny DeVito - Director/Star
- Deleted Scenes: Montage
- Storyboards - With Video (3)
- Theatrical Trailers (3)
- TV Spots (8)
- Director's Computer Sketches
- International One Sheet Gallery
- Production Stills
- Visual Effects
- Prop Stills
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 12/08/1989
"...A deliriously mean-spirited free-for-all....[Turner and Douglas are at their] comic best when being as awful as both are required to be here..."
Los Angeles Times - 12/08/1989
"...Biting and vicious....It's also thoughtful, laceratingly funny and bravely true to its own black-and-blue comic vision..."
Total Film - 03/01/2013
4 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he two leads battle with such gusto that it's fun to be sitting at ringside..."
A black comedy about a wealthy couple embroiled in a bitter divorce. Oliver Rose is a successful lawyer; his wife Barbara has been a committed homemaker with a flair for interior decorating. Together they created a home that looks like something off the pages of "House Beautiful." But after their two kids grow up and leave home, Barbara decides that their perfect marriage isn't so perfect anymore and wants out. Unable to reach an agreement about who will keep the house and everything in it, the Roses become engaged in a vicious battle to the death over the possession of their material objects.
Black Comedy |
Classic Fight Scenes |
Family Interaction |
- Estimated budget $30 million.
- Filmed in Panavision and DeLuxe color in Los Angeles, California and Coupeville, Washington.
- Began shooting March 21, 1989; complete shooting June 1989. Released in the USA December 8, 1989. Shown at the Berlin Film Festival (in competition) February 9-20, 1990. Released on video June 28, 1990.
- Additional cast: Trenton Teigen (Josh at 10) and Bethany McKinney (Carolyn at 10). Popeye played Bennie the Dog and Tyler played Kitty-Kitty the Cat.
- Additional music credits: "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" performed by the Sesame Street Cast and arranged by Sam Pottle.
- Body doubles creation for Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner by Thomas R. Burman and Bari Dreiband-Burman.
- Body makeup by Gina Rylander.
- Rated BBFC 15 by the British Board of Film Classification.
- The Special Edition Laserdisc includes an introduction and commentary by Danny DeVito, additional scenes deleted from the theatrical release, the original theatrical trailer, the film's script, production designs and stills, posters, and props.