Gerry Mulligan Mosaic Select: Gerry Mulligan (3-CD)
|You Save:||$6.40 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
Format: CD (3 Discs)
- by Thelonious Monk ~ The Complete Prestige Recordings (3-CD Box Set) ~ $24.19
- by Louis Armstrong ~ Satchmo At Symphony Hall 65th Anniversary: The Complete Performances (2-CD) ~ $32.38
- Number of Discs: 3
- Released: April 24, 2007
- Label: Mosaic Select
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 2.When Your Love Has Gone
- 3.Star Dust
- 4.My Heart Belongs to Daddy
- 5.Jersey Bounce
- 6.Surrey with the Fringe on Top
- 8.Trav'lin' Light
- 9.People Will Say We're in Love
- 10.Gee Baby, Aint' I Good to You
- 11.Song Is You
- 12.Festive Minor
- 13.I Got Rhythm
- 14.Trav'lin' Light [Alternate Take]
- 15.Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You [Alternate Take]
- 16.All the Things You Are
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Four and One Moore
- 2.Crazy Day
- 5.Disc Jockey Jump [Full Version]
- 6.Venus de Milo
- 8.Crazy Day [Mono Take]
- 9.Turnstile [Mono Take]
- 12.Good Bait
- 13.Bags' Groove
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.Lullaby in Rhythm
- 2.Body and Soul
- 3.Out of Nowhere
- 4.I'll Remember April
- 5.I Can't Get Started
- 6.I Feel Pretty
- 7.How About You?
- 8.I've Grown Accustomed to His Face
- 9.This Time the Dream's on Me
- 10.Let There Be Love
- 11.All of You
- 12.Give Me the Simple Life
- 13.This Is Always
- 14.Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
- 15.It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing) [Unedited Version]
- 16.Lady's in Love with You
- 17.My Old Flame
- 18.I Guess I'll Have to Change My Plans
- 19.You Turned the Tables on Me
- 20.This Is Always [First Version]
- 21.I've Grown Accustomed to His Face [First Version]
Personnel: Gerry Mulligan (baritone saxophone); Annie Ross (vocals); Paul Palmieri, Freddie Green (guitar); Dick Wetmore (violin); Calo Scott (cello); Zoot Sims & His Five Brothers, Allen Eager (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Lee Konitz (alto saxophone); Al Cohn (tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Chet Baker , Art Farmer (trumpet); Dave Bailey (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Daniel Halperin; Tristam C. Colket; Michael Cuscuna; Nat Hentoff.
Recording information: Coastal Studio, New York, NY (10/03/1957-09/??/1958).
Photographer: Chuck Stewart.
Unknown Contributor Role: Harlan R. Crippen.
Arranger: Bill Holman.
Gerry Mulligan was certainly busy in December 1957. During a two-week period, the baritonist recorded a reunion album with trumpeter Chet Baker, documented a set of his songs with an octet that featured five top saxophonists, recorded a very obscure set with a sextet that included four strings, and cut most of an album in which his quartet teamed up with singer Annie Ross. This limited-edition three-CD set contains all of the music plus alternate takes and the last part of the Ross album, which was recorded nine months later with trumpeter Art Farmer in Baker's spot. The reunion with Baker, one of only two times when Mulligan and the trumpeter got back together (the other was a 1970s concert), has some of the old magic of the famous 1951-1952 pianoless quartet. Surprisingly, Baker sounds reluctant to play behind Mulligan's solos, but the baritonist happily harmonizes behind the trumpeter. The saxophone date features Mulligan's songs arranged by Bill Holman and featuring Allen Eager (in his last high-quality date), Zoot Sims, Al Cohn, and Lee Konitz in excellent form. It is surprising that the Mulligan with strings set did not come out for decades, for the nine songs (which have Mulligan joined by violin, cello, guitar, bass, and drums) are given spirited and swinging treatments. Annie Ross Sings a Song of Mulligan was one of the singer's finest albums away from Lambert, Hendricks & Ross and she mixes in perfectly with the two versions of Mulligan's quartet. Collectors who do not already own most of this music are well advised to acquire this perfectly conceived reissue, a month in the life of the great Gerry Mulligan. ~ Scott Yanow
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE