- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 23, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Surround - Spanish, French
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: John Malkovich - Director, 2. Javier Bardem - Actor
- Featurette: Sundance Channel's "Journeys With John Malkovich"
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Premiere - 05/01/2003
"...Malkovich is more interested in hitting the notes of elegiac lyricism than delivering socko action; this is a thriller that means to get under your skin..."
New York Times - 05/02/2003
"...A worthy effort because Mr. Malkovich proves his devotion to actors....A gripping story....His trademark confidence is displayed by his insistence on a slowed rhythm to demand audience attention..."
USA Today - 05/02/2003
"...It has an elusive, haunting quality..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 05/02/2003
"...THE DANCER UPSTAIRS is elegantly, even languorously, photographed by Jose Luis Alcaine....[The film] moves with a compelling intensity toward its conclusion..."
Rolling Stone - 05/29/2003
"...John Malkovich makes an elegantly stylized debut....Delicate and devastating..."
Los Angeles Times - 05/02/2003
"...[A] pleasurably nerve-jangling thriller....[Malkovich is] as much a natural behind the camera as in front of it..."
Entertainment Weekly - 09/26/2003
"...A discriminating directorial debut....It's the intricate plot -- which quietly examines a torn man's rectitude -- and Bardem's vibrant performance that leave an indelible mark..."
USA Today - 09/26/2003
"...[The film] has an elusive haunting quality few movies these days have..."
Total Film - 11/01/2003
"John Malkovich makes a thoughtful directorial debut with this intelligent political thriller..."
South America |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical Release Date: May 2, 2003 (LA/NY)