Wreckless Eric Greatest Stiffs
Only 6 copies left
|CYBER SALE:||$7.44 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.55 (32% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Foster The People ~ Supermodel ~ $7.44
- Released: March 20, 2001
- Label: Metro Music
Q - 5/02 SE, p.1444 stars out of 5 - Included in Q's "100 Best Punk Albums" - "...Plenty of forgotten gems from a time when eating a vase of daffodils was considered the height of rock'n'roll excess..."
- 1.Whole Wide World
- 2.Reconnez Cherie
- 3.Semaphore Signals
- 4.Take the Cash (K.A.S.H.)
- 5.Pop Song
- 6.Personal Hygiene
- 7.Tonight (Is My Night)
- 8.Hit and Miss Judy
- 9.Walking on the Surface of the Moon
- 11.Let's Go to the Pictures
- 13.Broken Doll
- 14.Excuse Me
- 15.It'll Soon Be the Weekend
- 16.Strange Towns
- 17.I Wish It Would Rain
- 18.Out of the Blue
- 19.Grown Ups
- 20.Final Taxi
Audio Mixer: Alan Winstanley.
Liner Note Author: Annie Nightingale.
There's one complaint with Metro's Greatest Stiffs collection -- Wreckless Eric's unhinged version of Devo's "Be Stiff," the song that the British indie Stiff made all their second-wave artists record, isn't here. It was the best out of all the versions of "Be Stiff," and it would have been a highlight of his Stiff recordings even if he'd been the only one to cut it there. Apart from that, and maybe the absence of his smashing version of Ian Dury's "Rough Kids," this is a flawless collection of his terrific recordings for Stiff, drawing highlights from those three full-length albums, including songs that haven't been easily available on CD. And while Wreckless' incoherent, slurred growl may be an acquired taste, it's totally rock & roll, and the best early songs here -- "Whole Wide World," "Reconnez Cherie," "Semaphore Signals," "Take the Cash (K.A.S.H.)," among others -- are wild, terrific rock & roll, while the songs toward the end of the record prove that he's a fine pop songwriter as well. Wreckless Eric may be a cult act, but this record proves why he has a cult. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 13 ratings.
Based on 13 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Hunting High and Low [Bonus CD] [Bonus Tracks] (2-CD)
$27.89 CYBER SALE
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $5.98 CYBER SALE