- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: November 4, 2002
- Label: Metal Blade
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Death in Fire
- 2.For the Stabwounds in Our Backs
- 3.Where Silent Gods Stand Guard
- 4.Vs. the World
- 5.Across the Rainbow Bridge
- 6.Down the Slopes of Death
- 7.Thousand Years of Oppression
- 9....and Soon the World Will Cease to Be
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Siegreicher Marsch (Victorious March) - (Victorious March)
- 2.Sorrow Throughout the Nine Worlds
- 3.The Arrival of the Fimbul Winter
- 4.Burning Creation
- 5.The Mighty Doors of the Speargod's Hall
- 6.Under the Greyclouded Winter Sky
- 7.Burning Creation
- 8.Arrival of the Fimbul Winter
- 9.Without Fear
- 10.Risen from the Sea
- 11.Atrocious Humanity
- 12.Army of Darkness
- 13.Thor Arise
- 14.Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Initial pressings of VERSUS THE WORLD will include a bonus disc.
Amon Amarth: Johan Kegg (vocals); Anders Hansson, Olavi Mikkonen (guitar); Ted Lundstrom (bass); Mike Kaukinen, Fredrik Andersson (drums).
Recorded in November 1995.
Personnel: Johan S?derberg, Olavi Mikkonen, Anders Hansson (guitar); Niko Kaukinen, Fredrik Andersson (drums).
Audio Mixers: Henrik Larson; Peter T?gtgren.
Audio Remasterer: Henrik Larson.
Recording information: Abyss Studios, Sweden (11/1995-08/2002); Berno Studios, Malmo, Sweden (11/1995-08/2002).
Photographer: Alex Kuehr.
With Versus the World, Amon Amarth return with another terrain flattening, Viking-obsessed death metal platter. Vocalist Johan Hegg alternates between a whispery low rumble and an upper-register shriek, both of which are surprisingly able to render the lyrics quite intelligible at times. What's possibly most impressive about Versus the World is the ebb and flow of the record; there is an engaging variety of moods, tempos, and textures that is lacking from the work of many similar bands. The songs are truly songs, which are thoughtfully arranged and manage to deliver melody, and even beauty, along with moments of extreme brutality. ~ Andy Hinds