Barbara Acklin Best of Barbara Acklin
|You Save:||$5 (63% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Eddie Kendricks ~ The Ultimate Collection ~ $7.79
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: EMI Music Special Markets 37044 (2002)
Description by OLDIES.com:
A budget-priced 10-track collection of hits from Barbara Acklin. All original recordings.
- 1.Love Makes A Woman
- 2.Am I The Same Girl
- 3.Show Me The Way To Go (With Gene Chandler)
- 4.After You
- 5.Just Ain't No Love
- 6.I Did It
- 7.You've Been In Love Too Long
- 8.What The World Needs Now Is Love
- 9.The Look Of Love
- 10.Fool, Fool, Fool (Look In The Mirror)
Barbara Acklin is one of the great lost soul singers of the late '60s/early '70s. Her biggest hit, the sultry "Love Makes a Woman," only made a tiny splash on the charts. The rest of her work was doomed to be heard only by soul fanatics and collectors. Brunswick has done a fine job keeping her work in the public eye by releasing her original albums and a couple of collections. EMI Special Markets' The Best of Barbara Acklin attempts to take her work to a larger audience, but at only ten tracks falls short of capturing the soul of Acklin. "Love Makes a Woman" is here along with her other semi-hit, the sunny "Am I the Same Girl," as are her lush duet with Gene Chandler, "Show Me the Way to Go," and a song Acklin wrote with Eugene Record, the finger-popping "After You." The collection is let down, however, by the inclusion of her pedestrian covers of "The Look of Love" and "What the World Needs Now Is Love." Adding a couple of her own fine compositions would have been much more satisfying. Still, if all you care about is getting hold of Acklin's two best-known songs and don't need much else, this collection is OK. [Collectables reissued The Best of Barbara Acklin in 2003 as part of their Priceless Collection series. The disc had a different cover and a complete lack of discographical information.] ~ Tim Sendra
The Brothers Of SoulI Guess That Don't Make Me A Loser - A Golden Classics Ed. (CD)
$8.43 on SALE
Someone Else's Arms / I Did It / I Call It Trouble (CD)
$12.07 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Based on 12 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
Great Artist Music Lover: Yvonne Bolden from NYC -- June, 18, 2008
I really enjoyed the music that Barbara Acklin put out. I was young and listening to those songs now really brings back memories.
- Sales Rank: 90
- UPC: 090431936528
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- The Allures Doo Wop Memories (Just For You), Acappella Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Ernestine Anderson New Sound Of (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Lee Andrews & The Hearts Gotham Recording Sessions (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Andromeda Project Rhythm Is Gonna Get You (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Aramis Camilo Ponteme a la Talalala (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE