Faron Young Here's Faron Young / Occasional Wife
Only 6 copies left
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Faron Young ~ All American Country ~ $12.14
- by Faron Young ~ The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection ~ $4.48
- by Bobby Bare ~ The Real Thing ~ $19.84
- by Wynn Stewart ~ Wishful Thinking (10-CD Box Set) ~ $230.16
- Released: May 4, 2009
- Label: Hux Records
Record Collector (magazine) - p.993 stars out of 5 -- "Young's voice is showcased well by the arrangements and the band is sharp."
- 1.I Just Came to Get My Baby
- 2.She Went a Little Bit Farther
- 3.I Live Just to Love You
- 4.Before the Next Teardrop Falls
- 5.What Does It Take to Make a Grown Man Cry
- 6.So Afraid
- 7.Here's to the Girls
- 8.Missing You Was All I Did Today
- 9.If You Ever Walk My Way Again
- 10.Glass of Smile
- 11.Stay Love
- 12.If I Ever Fall in Love with a Honky Tonk Girl
- 13.The Whirlwinds of My Mind
- 14.I Really Want to Know
- 15.First Day of Loneliness
- 16.A Bunch of Young Ideas
- 17.The Guns of Johnny Rondo
- 18.Occasional Wife
- 19.Alabama Rose
- 20.The Weakness of a Fool
- 21.Everybody's Got Problems
- 22.You're the Angel
Personnel: Faron Young (vocals); The Jordanaires, The Nashville Sounds (vocals); Jerry Kennedy (guitar, sitar); Harold Bradley (guitar, bass guitar); Chip Young, Ray Edenton (guitar); Lloyd Green, Pete Drake (steel guitar); Henry Husinger, Jim Buchanan, Johnny Gimble, Red Hayes, Buddy Spicher (fiddle); Hargus "Pig" Robbins (piano, keyboards); Bob Moore (bass instrument); Buddy Harman (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Russell Pay.
Liner Note Author: Jon Philibert.
Recording information: Columbia Recording Studio, Nasville (11/1967-03/1970); Monument Recording Studio, Nashville, TN (11/1967-03/1970).
Hux's 2009 two-fer pairs 1968's Here's Faron Young and 1970's "Occasional Wife," two albums he recorded during the middle of his run at Mercury Records. Apart from some added sugar on the ballads, the rock rhythms of "Here's to the Girls" and the crisp Everlys-esque pop of "Stay Love," Here's Faron Young is a straightforward honky tonk record Young could have released back on Capitol in the '50s, right down to how Faron is in strong, assured voice. The collection of songs is quite strong, too, highlighted by the singles "I Just Came to Get My Baby" and "She Went a Little Bit Farther," both classic Texas 2-steps, as is "If You Ever Walk My Way Again," but he also has one of the earliest versions of "Before the Next Teardrop Falls," and a good drinking anthem in "Glass of Smile," helping make this into a solid LP.
Occasional Wife steps with the times a little bit more than Here's Faron Young, boasting a bigger, sweeter production, and some awareness of a world outside of a honky tonk, particularly in how "The Whirlwinds of My Mind" winks at the late-'60s MOR standard "Windmills of Your Mind." Fitting the sly title, there's humor in evidence throughout this disc, whether it's on the wry "Everybody's Got Problems" or the George Jones-styled novelty "A Bunch of Young Ideas," but this record also has a fair amount of straight-ahead honky tonk, a tentative pop crossover on "Alabama Rose," equal parts Glen Campbell and Merle Haggard, and a historical turn in "The Guns of Johnny Rondo," a tune partway between Johnny Cash and Johnny Horton, and totally not fitting Faron. In other words, it's a bit of a jumble, but not an unenjoyable one, with the good stuff -- which does include the singles "If I Ever Fall In Love with a Honky Tonk Girl" and "Occasional Wife" -- slightly outweighing the clunkers. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Heart Of Country: 48 Classics Of Country & Western (3-CD)
$4.98 on SALE
Sold OutSave for Later
Country Music America: Jeannie C. Riley / Faron Young /... (DVD)
$9.30 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE