The Crowd Roars (Full Screen)
Warner Archive Collection (series)
Boxer Tommy "Killer" McCoy can duck from a punch but one thing he can't dodge is bookies rigging matches. On the night of his biggest fight, he's supposed to take a dive. If he doesn't, he may never again see his father or the woman he loves alive.
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$11.13 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.86 (38% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 32 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: October 5, 2010
- Originally Released: 1938
- Label: Warner Archive Collection (MOD)
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Robert Taylor, Edward Arnold, Maureen O'Sullivan, William Gargan, Frank Morgan & Jane Wyman|
|Directed by||Richard Thorpe|
|Screenwriting by||Thomas Lennon, George Oppenheimer & George Bruce|
|Composition by||Edward Ward|
|Director of Photography:||John F. Seitz|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Boxer Tommy "Killer" McCoy can duck away from a foe's haymaker punch but one thing he can't dodge is bookies eager to rig matches. Now, on the night of his biggest fight, Tommy's supposed to take a dive. If he doesn't, a gambler warns, he may never again see his father or the woman he loves alive. Continuing his move into more assertive roles, Robert Taylor laces up the gloves for the fisticuffs and melodrama of a film that, per one of its taglines, "puts the MAN in romance." The cast is one any male in Hollywood would be glad to have in his corner: Frank Morgan, Edward Arnold, Jane Wyman, Lionel Stander and Maureen O'Sullivan, who teamed with Taylor just months before in A Yank at Oxford.
Not a remake of the 1932 James Cagney vehicle of the same name, THE CROWD ROARS is set in the sweat-stained world of professional boxing. Handy with his fists, young Tommy McCoy (Robert Taylor) is virtually pushed into the ring by his alcoholic father Brian (Frank Morgan). During his climb to the championship, Tommy accidentally kills one of his opponents in the ring, and is thereafter tagged "Killer McCoy". He then falls in with crooked gambling czar Jim Cain (Edward Arnold), who uses various methods of persuasion to get Tommy to do his bidding. Though the film at first seems to holding the fickle fight fans responsible for the cesspool that professional boxing had become by 1938, the blame is ultimately laid squarely on the shoulders of men like Jim Cain. THE CROWD ROARS was remade by Mickey Rooney as KILLER MCCOY (1947).
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 21,791
- UPC: 883316276433
- Shipping Weight: 0.27/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD)
$8.82 Super Savings
Warner Archive Collection Product Series:
- The 100 - Complete 2nd Season (Blu-ray) ~ $33.57 CYBER WEEK
- The 100 - Complete 3rd Season (Blu-ray) ~ $33.57 CYBER WEEK
- 20,000 Years In Sing Sing (DVD-R) ~ $11.13 CYBER WEEK
- The 25th Hour (DVD-R) ~ $12.37 CYBER WEEK
- -30- (DVD-R) ~ $11.13 CYBER WEEK
Top ranking titles in the Drama genre:
- The Graduate (Widescreen) (Decades Collection) (Includes Bonus Audio CD) (DVD) ~ $2.39 CYBER WEEK
- The Best of Tromadance Film Festival, Volume 4 (DVD) ~ 59¢ CYBER WEEK
- They Made Me a Criminal / Lady Gangster (DVD) ~ 69¢ CYBER WEEK
- Dante's View (DVD) ~ 59¢ CYBER WEEK
- Rutger Hauer Double Feature: Beyond Justice / Escape from Sobibor (DVD) ~ 69¢ CYBER WEEK