A Thunder of Drums (Widescreen)
Warner Archive Collection (series)
"Bachelors make the best soldiers," declares Capt. Stephen Maddocks, who knows the West can only be tamed by men as single-minded as he is. He has no patience for love triangles.
|You Save:||$4.01 (20% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
More products that might interest you:
- Classic Western Collection: 20 Full Color Vintage Movie Postcards ~ $5.98 (Save 60%)
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 37 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 28, 2010
- Originally Released: 1961
- Label: Warner Archives
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Richard Boone, George Hamilton, Charles Bronson, Luana Patten, Arthur O'Connell & Richard Chamberlain|
|Directed by||Joseph Newman & Joseph M. Newman|
|Screenwriting by||James Warner Bellah|
|Composition by||Harry Sukman|
|Director of Photography:||William W. Spencer|
Description by OLDIES.com:
"Bachelors make the best soldiers," declares Capt. Stephen Maddocks (Richard Boone), who knows the West can only be tamed by men as single-minded as he is. So with renegade Indians on the warpath, he has no patience for the love triangle that erupts between greenhorn officers (George Hamilton and James Douglas) and a beauty (Luana Patten) promised to one of them - or for the chaos he knows it will cause. Written by James Warner Bellah, whose stories were the source for John Ford's Calvary Trilogy, A Thunder of Drums thunders with Western action and human passions. The standout cast includes Richard Chamberlain (right at the time he became TV's Dr. Kildare), '50s guitar legend Duane Eddy, Slim Pickens and, a year after his breakthrough in The Magnificent Seven, Charles Bronson.
In this western, an idealistic and naive rookie cavalry officer is assigned to work with a cruel captain. He immediately gets on the crabby captain's bad side by trying to restart an affair with his ex-sweetheart. The woman is engaged to another who ends up getting killed by the Indians. This rookie, blaming himself for distracting the slain officer with his overtures to the officer's fiance, volunteers to act as a decoy to lure the renegade Apaches into a trap. It works, but many soldiers die. After the skirmish, the rookie has become a seasoned officer prepared to take his duties seriously. Back at the fort, he bids farewell to the woman as she begins her long journey back east.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd (FS) (DVD-R)
$15.98 on SALE
Top ranking titles in the Westerns genre:
- Santa Fe Trail (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- The Randolph Scott Round-Up, Volume 2: 6 Classic Westerns (2-DVD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Gun Packer (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 3 Pack Westerns: The Way West / Escort West / Chato's Land (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Tom Keene Double Feature: Wanderers of the West (1941) / Drums of Destiny (1937) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Top ranking DVD-R:
- The Serpent's Tongue / The Grayhaven Maniac (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Banned Cartoons: A Historical Archive of the Shameful Racial Abuses of Hollywood's Yesteryear (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Terror Is a Man (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Charlie Chan 3-Film Collection (The Red Dragon / The Feathered Serpent / The Sky Dragon) (2-Disc) (DVD-R) ~ $21.32 on SALE
- Teenage Strangler (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE