- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: August 19, 2008
- Label: Hip-O Select
Down Beat - p.724 stars out of 5
-- "ROAD RUNNER provides additional proof of the majesty of the rhythm patterns concocted by the rock 'n' roll pioneer on his square-bodied electric guitar..."
Record Collector (magazine) - p.853 stars out of 5
-- "There are three versions apiece of 'Come On Baby' and 'Let Me In,' four of 'She's Alright,' but it's the unheard tracks that offer the most variations on Diddley's trademark 'chug-chug-a-chug' sound."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Mama Mia
- 2.Bucket (Take 1)
- 3.Bucket (Take 5)
- 4.What Do You Know About Love
- 5.Lazy Woman (Alternate Take 1)
- 6.Lazy Woman (Take 3)
- 7.Come On Baby (Take 2)
- 8.Come On Baby (Instrumental Run-Through Take 3)
- 9.Come On Baby (Take 4)
- 10.Nursery Rhyme (Puttentang)
- 11.Mumblin' Guitar
- 12.James' Instrumental
- 13.Silly Willy
- 14.I Love You So (The Beat)
- 15.Story Of Bo Diddley (My Story)
- 16.She's Alright (Unedited Version)
- 17.She's Alright (Alternate Take)
- 18.She's Alright (Mindy Lou Alternate Take)
- 19.She's Alright
- 20.Darling Tell Me
- 21.Limbo (Limber) (Alternate Take)
- 22.Limbo (Limber)
- 23.Gonna Tell It Like It Is
- 24.Say Man, Back Again (Alternate Take)
- 25.Say Man, Back Again
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Walking (Take 2)
- 2.Walking (Take 4)
- 3.To Each His Own
- 4.Run Diddley Daddy
- 5.Unknown Title issued as Run Diddley Daddy
- 6.Road Runner (Alternate Take)
- 7.Road Runner
- 8.Spend My Life With You
- 9.Love You Baby
- 10.Diddling (Tash)
- 13.Willie Fell In Love (Version 1)
- 14.Willie Fell In Love (Take 10)
- 15.Look At My Baby
- 16.Better Watch Yourself
- 17.Prisoner Of Love (Fast Version)
- 18.Prisoner Of Love (Slow Version)
- 19.You Know I Love You So
- 20.Let Me In (Alternate Version 1)
- 21.Let Me In (Alternate Version 2)
- 22.Let Me In
- 23.Signifying Blues (Unedited)
- 24.Signifying Blues
- 25.Deed & Deed I Do (Alternate Take)
- 26.Deed & Deed I Do
Personnel: Bo Diddley (vocals, guitar, violin, background vocals); Jerome Green (vocals, maracas, background vocals); Peggy Jones (guitar, background vocals); Lafayette Leake, Otis Spann (piano); Willie Dixon (double bass); Bobby Baskerville (bass guitar, background vocals); Clifton James, Frank Kirkland (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Gavin Lurssen.
Liner Note Author: George White.
Recording information: Chicago, IL (??/1959-01/1960); New York, NY (??/1959-01/1960); Washington DC (??/1959-01/1960).
Photographer: Chuck Stewart.
The death of Bo Diddley in 2008 provided an occasion to reassess the man's sizable contribution to rock & roll, and the nicely compiled ROAD RUNNER: THE CHESS MASTERS 1959-1960, also released in '08, facilitates the purpose. ROAD RUNNER packs 52 tracks onto two discs, adding up to a case history of Diddley's distinctive, groove-driven, blues-and-soul-fueled genius. In addition to well-known Diddley tunes featuring his classic line-up of two guitars, bass drums, and vocals (with a variety of his trademark beats), ROAD RUNNER features 23 previously unreleased tracks (including many alternate takes), making it a must for collectors and completists. But THE CHESS MASTERS also works well as an introduction, summing up the essence of Bo Diddley as one of rock's founding fathers.