Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs (series)
Hurry! Only 8 copies left Sorry no back-orders
|You Save:||$5 (46% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
sku: ZHUS 62955
- by Phish ~ Joy (2-LPs - 180GV) ~ $24.29
- Clearance CDs with the ZHUS prefix may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: June 15, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Elektra / WEA
Rolling Stone - p.1284 stars out of 5 - "UNDERMIND is giddily adventurous. The album's fourteen tracks run from the simple, stripped-down psychedelia of the opening 'Scents and Subtle Sounds' to the joyous rock of 'Crowd Control'..."
Rolling Stone - p.150Included in Rolling Stone's Top 50 Records Of 2004 - "[O]ne of their best studio albums, song-wise and jam-wise..."
Entertainment Weekly - p.84"All warm-fireplace harmonies and jaunty beats..." - Grade: B-
- 1.Scents & Subtle Sounds (Intro)
- 3.The Connection
- 4.A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing
- 5.Army of One
- 6.Crowd Control
- 7.Maggie's Revenge
- 9.Two Versions of Me
- 10.Scents & Subtle Sounds
- 11.Tomorrow's Song
- 12.Secret Smile
For years, Phish (like forebears the Grateful Dead) was dogged by criticism that its studio albums did not capture the band's widely acclaimed on-stage magic. While UNDERMIND, the group's final effort (the quartet officially disbanded in May 2004), may not completely silence the naysayers, the record's unquestionably accomplished sound does encourage a complete re-assessment of Phish as a recording entity. Producer/engineer Tchad Blake's trademark spare, meaty production gives the band's sonic textures a powerful wallop, evoking the jazz-like muscularity with which the combo imbues its live instrumental jams. In addition, Phish continues a trend started on BILLY BREATHES by focusing on tight, sharp songwriting, the title track standing as one of the group's catchiest tracks ever.
The Vermont foursome's astounding diversity is in evidence too, from the dreamy sunshine pop of "Scents & Subtle Sounds (Intro)" to keyboardist Page McConnell's Southern gospel-drenched "Army of One," to the monstrous, metallic bass riffs that drive "Maggie's Revenge." In the end, UNDERMIND is a fitting swan song and a top-notch studio album by a group that was always a genre unto itself.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 92 ratings.
Based on 92 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 82,209
- UPC: 075596297523
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Duane Eddy Duane A Go Go Go / Duane Eddy Does Bob Dylan (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE