Hank Snow Wanderin' On: The Best of the Yodeling Ranger
- Released: May 9, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Bear Family
Dirty Linen - 12/03, p.55"...There really are some great performances here by one of the most important figures in country music history..."
- 1.Wanderin' On
- 2.Prisoned Cowboy
- 3.Lonesome Blue Yodel
- 4.My San Antonio Mama
- 5.My Little Swiss Maiden
- 6.The Blue Velvet Band
- 7.Answer To 'The Blue Velvet Band
- 8.The Hobo's Last Ride
- 9.There's A Picture On A Pinto's Bridle
- 10.Broke Wedding Ring
- 11.Galveston Rose
- 12.Let's Pretend
- 13.We'll Never Say Goodbye, Just Say So Long
- 14.When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again
- 15.Blue Ranger
- 16.Just Faded Petal From A Beautiful Bouquet
- 17.Brand On My Heart
- 18.On That Old Hawaiian Shore With You
- 19.Linda Lou
- 20.My Mother
- 21.My Filipino Rose
- 22.Night I Stole Old Sammy Morgan's Gin
- 23.Out On The Open Range
- 24.Journey My Baby Back Home
- 25.I Knew That We'd Meet Again
Recorded in Canada in the late 1930's and early 1940's.
Personnel: Clarence E. Snow (vocals, guitar); Eugene "Johnny" Beaudoin (steel guitar).
Liner Note Author: Charles K. Wolfe.
Recording information: A Church, Montreal, Quebec, Canada (10/10/1936-12/02/1947); Victor Studio, Montreal, Quebec, Canada (10/10/1936-12/02/1947).
Illustrator: R.A. Andreas.
Photographer: R.A. Andreas.
Unknown Contributor Role: Roy Rogers .
In the 1930s, Nova Scotia-born country singer Hank Snow donned flamboyant cowboy outfits and performed throughout Canada under the name "the Yodelling Ranger," taking his cue from Jimmie Rodgers, "the Singing Brakeman." This massive, five-disc Bear Family set presents the early recordings of Snow, who was short in stature but possessed a large commanding voice. While Snow wouldn't become famous in the States until the '50s, he had a long string of '30s and '40s singles in his native country, most notably the Western lament "The Prisoned Cowboy" and the woe-is-me tale "Lonesome Blue Yodel." The collection also features some of Snow's first Hawaiian-themed songs, including "Blue for Old Hawaii" and "My Kalua Sweetheart." Some fans of Snow's initial years might find this compilation to be too intimidating (or expensive), and will be well served by Bear Family's honed-down 25-track WANDERIN' ON. Highly devoted Snow aficionados, however, will no doubt be rewarded by this remarkable set.
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)(5)
$19.98 on SALE
Tower of Song: An Epic Story of Canada and Its Music (DVD)(2)
$5.98 on SALE
We'll Never Say Goodbye: The Montreal Sessions 1937-1943 (CD)
$3.87 Super Savings
Souvenirs / Big Country Hits: Songs I Hadn't Recorded Till... (CD)
$11.70 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
There's Been a Change in Me (1951-1955) (7-CD Box Set)
$125.54 Super Savings
The King of Country Music: The Complete Foundation... (CD)
$251.09 Super Savings
King of Country Music [Bear Family Box Set] (2-CD)(8)
$31.37 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Charlie Daniels The Door (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Waylon Jennings The One And Only / Heartaches By The Numbers (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Legends of Country: 36 Great Performances (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- T.G. Sheppard Strong Heart (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE