Hank Snow Wanderin' On: The Best of the Yodeling Ranger
- Released: May 9, 2003
- Label: Bear Family
Dirty Linen - 12/03, p.55"...There really are some great performances here by one of the most important figures in country music history..."
- 1.Wanderin' On
- 2.Prisoned Cowboy
- 3.Lonesome Blue Yodel
- 4.My San Antonio Mama
- 5.My Little Swiss Maiden
- 6.The Blue Velvet Band
- 7.Answer To 'The Blue Velvet Band
- 8.The Hobo's Last Ride
- 9.There's A Picture On A Pinto's Bridle
- 10.Broke Wedding Ring
- 11.Galveston Rose
- 12.Let's Pretend
- 13.We'll Never Say Goodbye, Just Say So Long
- 14.When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again
- 15.Blue Ranger
- 16.Just Faded Petal From A Beautiful Bouquet
- 17.Brand On My Heart
- 18.On That Old Hawaiian Shore With You
- 19.Linda Lou
- 20.My Mother
- 21.My Filipino Rose
- 22.Night I Stole Old Sammy Morgan's Gin
- 23.Out On The Open Range
- 24.Journey My Baby Back Home
- 25.I Knew That We'd Meet Again
Recorded in Canada in the late 1930's and early 1940's.
Personnel: Clarence E. Snow (vocals, guitar); Eugene "Johnny" Beaudoin (steel guitar).
Liner Note Author: Charles K. Wolfe.
Recording information: A Church, Montreal, Quebec, Canada (10/10/1936-12/02/1947); Victor Studio, Montreal, Quebec, Canada (10/10/1936-12/02/1947).
Illustrator: R.A. Andreas.
Photographer: R.A. Andreas.
Unknown Contributor Role: Roy Rogers .
In the 1930s, Nova Scotia-born country singer Hank Snow donned flamboyant cowboy outfits and performed throughout Canada under the name "the Yodelling Ranger," taking his cue from Jimmie Rodgers, "the Singing Brakeman." This massive, five-disc Bear Family set presents the early recordings of Snow, who was short in stature but possessed a large commanding voice. While Snow wouldn't become famous in the States until the '50s, he had a long string of '30s and '40s singles in his native country, most notably the Western lament "The Prisoned Cowboy" and the woe-is-me tale "Lonesome Blue Yodel." The collection also features some of Snow's first Hawaiian-themed songs, including "Blue for Old Hawaii" and "My Kalua Sweetheart." Some fans of Snow's initial years might find this compilation to be too intimidating (or expensive), and will be well served by Bear Family's honed-down 25-track WANDERIN' ON. Highly devoted Snow aficionados, however, will no doubt be rewarded by this remarkable set.
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Wheeling West Virginia: October 2, 1976 (Live) (CD)
$16.55 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
King of Country Music [Bear Family Box Set] (2-CD)
$37.65 Super Savings
Everything Is A-OK!/Astronauts Orbit Campus (Live) (CD)
$18.82 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Freddy Fender Before The Next Teardrop Falls (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Charlie Rich Early Years / The Memphis Sound (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Orion Rockabilly / Sunrise (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE