Janette Carter Deliverance Will Come
- Released: June 28, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Bear Family
Dirty Linen - pp.83-85"Whether she's singing the songs her parents made famous, other old standards, or her own compositions, Janette scores consistently."
- 1.Bury Me Beneath The Willow
- 2.Lonesome Street
- 3.Listen To The Mockingbird (Instrumental)
- 4.I Ain't Gonna Work To Tomorrow
- 5.Sinking In The Lonesome Sea
- 6.I Found Jesus
- 7.Storms Are On The Ocean
- 8.Neath The Shade of A Beautiful Pine
- 9.Red Wing
- 10.Little Moses
- 11.In The Shadow of Clinch Mountain
- 12.Joy, Joy, Joy
- 14.Little Rosewood Casket
- 15.Wayworn Traveller
- 16.Take - Me - Back Blues
- 17.Johnny Doesn't Live Here Anymore
- 18.Waltz, Kitty, Waltz
- 19.Lonesome Pine Special
- 20.Give Him One More As He Goes
- 21.Heartbreaking Waltz
- 22.Dark and Stormy Weather
- 23.My Native Home
- 24.Little Moses
- 25.Kissin' Is A Crime
- 26.My Dixie Darlin'
- 27.Sea of Galilee
- 28.I'm Leaving You
- 29.I'm Missing You (& J. E. Mainer)
- 30.Johnny Doesn't Live Here Anymore
- 31.Storms Are On The Ocean
Personnel: Joe Lee Carter (vocals, guitar); Ruth Hartman, Hal McGaha (guitar); Jerry Moore (fiddle).
Liner Note Author: Colin Escott.
Recording information: Blue Jay Recording Studio, Salisbury, NC (07/20/1968-03/25/1972); Folk Festival Of The Smokies (07/20/1968-03/25/1972); Tri-State Recording Studios, Kingsport, TN (07/20/1968-03/25/1972).
Illustrator: Zana Ellis.
Photographer: Zana Ellis.
Bear Family, the respected reissue label from Germany, continues its deep mine of the Carter Family archives with this issue by A.P. and Sara Carter's youngest daughter, Janette. Along with older brother Joe, she runs the Carter Family Fold in Hiltons, VA, in the shadow of Clinch Mountain. Janette and her brother are the caretakers of the family legacy. The 31 cuts on this set contain two complete albums, Storms Are on the Ocean, originally recorded in 1972 for the tiny Birch Records label from Willamette, IL, and 1973's Howdayadoo, released on the Crosby, TN, Traditional imprint. The rest include A.P.'s "Storms Are on the Ocean," recorded for Blue Jay in 1968, a pair of live cuts issued on a Traditional collection, and two tracks from 2001, including the original "Johnny Doesn't Live Here Anymore." The remastering is excellent and the material is simply fantastic. It's a mix of Carter songs and traditional folk tunes that the Carters either did record or would have been comfortable doing so. Janette accompanies herself on autoharp on all these tracks, and has a minimal host of players -- mostly uncredited -- on others. The running time is 73 minutes and change, and the entire thing is deeply moving, plaintive, and full of emotion as well as history. Highly recommended. ~ Thom Jurek
The King of Country Music: The Complete Foundation... (CD)
$251.09 Super Savings
In Memory of The Man: Dedicated To Lester Flatt (CD)
$16.89 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
King of Country Music [Bear Family Box Set] (2-CD)(8)
$31.37 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE