Buddy Guy Skin Deep
|You Save:||$0.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 22, 2008
- Label: Jive
Rolling Stone - p.923.5 stars out of 5 -- "Guy is a blues man, not a protest singer, and when he wields his ax with perfect restraint over the organ and loping bass line of 'I Found Happiness,' you best believe that's what he's done."
Living Blues - p.39"SKIN DEEP is a return to form for Buddy Guy....On the opening track, 'Best Damn Fool,' Guy comes roaring out of the gate with a vicious guitar attack and a four-piece horn section blasting behind him."
- 1.Best Damn Fool
- 2.Too Many Tears - (featuring Derek Trucks / Susan Tedeschi)
- 3.Lyin' Like A Dog
- 4.Show Me The Money
- 5.Every Time I Sing The Blues - (featuring Eric Clapton)
- 6.Out In The Woods - (featuring Robert Randolph)
- 7.Hammer And A Nail
- 8.That's My Home - (featuring Robert Randolph)
- 9.Skin Deep - (featuring Derek Trucks)
- 10.Who's Gonna Fill Those Shoes - (featuring Quinn Sullivan)
- 11.Smell The Funk
- 12.I Found Happiness
Personnel: Buddy Guy (vocals); Eric Clapton (vocals, guitar); Tom Hambridge (vocals, drums, tambourine, hand claps, percussion, background vocals); Susan Tedeschi (vocals); David Grissom (guitar, acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Quinn Sullivan (guitar); Derek Trucks (slide guitar); Nathan Williams (accordion); Lannie McMIllian, Kirk Smothers (tenor saxophone); James L. Spake (baritone saxophone); Mark Franklin (trumpet); Reese Wynans (keyboards); Willie Weeks (bass guitar); Richie Hayward (drums); Wendy Moten, Bekka Bramlett (hand claps, background vocals); Bonnie Bramlett (background vocals).
Audio Mixers: Ducky Carlisle; Ryan Hewitt; Tom Hambridge.
Recording information: Blackbird Studios, Nashville, TN.
Photographer: Christian Lantry.
By the time SKIN DEEP was released in 2008, Buddy Guy was in his early 70s. The thing is, there are only a few tell-tale signs that Guy has aged any since his blistering work from the 1960s and '70s, and these signs-which include the slick, contemporary production, and the veteran-performer trend of having a parade of guest artists on the album-- are largely superficial. In truth, Guy still plays and sings like the urban blues monster he remains.
From the slinky, sexy opener, "Best Damn Fool," to the blues history lesson of "Who's Gonna Fill Those Shoes," to the slow-burn closer "I Found Happiness," Guy doesn't seem to have mellowed with age. In fact, he wails and shreds here with as much passion as ever. Eric Clapton, Derek Trucks, Susan Tedeschi, and Robert Randolph all lend a hand, but Buddy is in charge here, much the way he has always been.
John Lee HookerOnly the Best of John Lee Hooker (3-CD Bundle Pack)
$27.93 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 54 ratings.
Based on 54 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE