David Allan Coe Invictus Means Unconquered / Tennessee Whiskey (2-CD)
Only 4 copies left
|You Save:||$7.56 (30% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by David Allan Coe ~ Compass Point / I've Got Something to Say (2-CD) ~ $17.43 (Save 30%)
- by David Allan Coe ~ Human Emotions / Spectrum VII (2-CD) ~ $17.43 (Save 30%)
- by David Allan Coe ~ The Mysterious Rhinestone Cowboy / Once Upon a Time ~ $17.43 (Save 30%)
- by David Allan Coe ~ Sings Johnny Cash's Biggest Hits ~ $7.18
- by David Allan Coe ~ Unchained / Son of the South: Plus ~ $17.43 (Save 30%)
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: March 1, 1995
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Bear Family
- 1.Rose Knows
- 2.Ain't It Funny the Way Love Can Do Ya
- 3.If You Ever Think of Me at All
- 4.The Purple Heart
- 5.London Homesick Blues
- 6.Stand by Your Man
- 7.As Far as This Feeling Will Take Us
- 8.Someplace to Come When It Rains
- 9.The Best Game in Town
- 10.I Love Robbing Banks
- 11.Tennessee Whiskey
- 12.If I Knew
- 13.I've Given 'Bout All I Can Take
- 14.Pledging My Love
- 15.I'll Always Be a Fool for You
- 16.(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay
- 18.We Got a Bad Thing Goin'
- 20.Little Orphan Annie
- 21.Bright Morning Light
2 LPs on 1 CD: INVICTUS (MEANS) UNCONQUERED (1981)/TENNESSEE WHISKEY (1981).
Producers: Ron Bledsoe, David Allan Coe, Billy Sherrill.
Reissue producer: Richard Weize
Personnel: David Allan Coe (vocals, guitar); Gwen Kay, Mary Beth Anderson, Karen Brooks, Buddy Cannon, Buzz Rabin (background vocals).
Recording information: CBS Recording Studio, Nashville, TN.
The sixth and final volume of Bear Family's David Allan Coe two-fer series ends on a high note with his final albums for Columbia, the gorgeous Invictus Means Unconquered and the gutsy, rootsy Tennessee Whiskey. Both of these records represent a return to form for Coe, who had hit a career and creative low with his first attempt at a commercial album, I've Got Something to Say, complete with "special guests." No one was really paying attention to Coe when he recorded Invictus; he and producer Billy Sherrill had nothing to lose, so they put together a collection of ten very strong songs that are, for the very first time, comprised entirely of either co-writes or covers. The covers include Gary P. Nunn's "London Home Sick Blues," "Stand by Your Man," and Bobby David and Ray Kennedy's "The Purple Heart," among others. Among the co-writes are two by Coe and Guy and Susanna Clark, "Ain't It Funny the Way Love'll Do Ya" and "I Love Robbing Banks," and the Coe/Shel Silverstein classic "If You Ever Think of Me at All." The album flows from beginning to end and never slacks, even for a moment. It is Coe's most criminally ignored record and may be his very best. Tennessee Whiskey, by contrast, is a record that seeks to expand on the vision created with Invictus. Sherrill's influence in helping to choose material is evident in the title track, Larry Kingston's "Bright Morning Light," and the Shel Silverstein/Fred Koller nugget "Juanita," among others. The rest features new Coe material, songs that are tight, hooky, and downright country -- which might have been a problem in 1981 when Karen Brooks, Janie Fricke, David Frizzell, Eddie Rabbit, Rosanne Cash, and Lacy J. Dalton were topping the charts. The huge surprise is Coe's odd, funky, but very credible reading of "Dock of the Bay." The singing on both of these records is amazing; Coe was never in better voice. Anyone interested in finding out about Coe's work apart from his myth would do well to actually begin with these records. ~ Thom Jurek
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$15.98 CYBER WEEK
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Wild Boy: The Lost Songs of Eden Ahbez (180GV) (LP)
$21.19 CYBER WEEK
Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD)
99¢ CYBER WEEK
Top Hits of the 80s: 18 Original Hits (Wooden Gift Box) (CD)
99¢ CYBER WEEK
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
01¢ CYBER WEEK
Top ranking CD:
- Freddy Cannon Have A Boom Boom Christmas!! (CD) ~ 01¢ CYBER WEEK
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Various Artists The Best of Christmas: 25 Original Hits by the Original Artists (Disc 3) (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK