Eddy Arnold The Tennessee Plowboy and His Guitar
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$125.54 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$24.45 (16% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Eddy Arnold ~ Cattle Call / Thereby Hangs a Tale ~ $20.91
- Number of Discs: 5
- Released: August 11, 1998
- Label: Bear Family
- 1.The Cattle Call
- 2.Each Minute Seems a Million Years
- 3.I Couldn't Believe It Was True
- 4.What Is Life Without Love?
- 5.That's How Much I Love You
- 6.Chained to a Memory
- 7.To My Sorrow
- 8.It's a Sin
- 9.I'll Hold You in My Heart
- 10.Bouquet of Roses
- 11.What a Fool I Was
- 12.Then I Turned and Walked Slowly Away
- 13.Texarkana Baby
- 14.My Daddy Is Only a Picture
- 15.There's Not a Thing I Wouldn't Do For You
- 17.A Heart Full of Love
- 18.Just a Little Lovin'
- 19.The Echo of Your Footsteps
- 20.Don't Rob Another Man's Castle
- 21.Little Angel With the Dirty Face
- 22.One Kiss Too Many
- 23.I'm Throwing Rice
- 24.Why Should I Cry
- 25.Take Me in Your Arms and Hold Me
Contains 120 songs.
Personnel: Eddy Arnold (vocals, guitar); Harold Bradley, Jack Shook, Johnny Sullivan, Buttrerball Paige, Danny Perri (guitar); Little Roy Wiggins, Eddie McMullen (steel guitar); Adrian McDowell, Speedy McNatt, Ben Lambert (violin); Rollin Sullivan (mandolin); Jack Pleis, Jack Kelly, Harold Spierer, Owen Bradley, Sam Liner (piano); Gabe Tucker, Dempsey Watts, Lloyd George (bass).
Recorded between 1944 and 1949. Includes liner notes by Brian Golbey.
Digitally remastered by Martin Haskell and Tim Debney.
The 120 tracks on these five CDs constitute a group of Eddy Arnold songs with which few people under the age of 50 could be familiar -- only about a half-dozen of them ever appeared on LP, much less CD. Recorded between 1944 and 1950, they represent his rise to country stardom (but not yet to pop stardom), and also the evolution of country music in the period immediately after the war. His performances on the early sides were heavily influenced by the work of Gene Autry, but they were much closer to hillbilly music, with thin, twangy guitars and fiddle. With the help of producer Steve Sholes, Arnold and his group (the Tennessee Plowboys) achieved a fine, lean sound that was a good compromise between hillbilly authenticity and commercial country music. Disc Two, covering 1947-48, shows Arnold consolidating his earlier success, and acquiring a greater range in the process. Disc Three shows Arnold's voice mellowing into the fine instrument that it became as he later emerged into pop stardom; his low range is richer, and he reaches those high notes more easily. This was all of a piece with making Arnold accessible to the widest possible audience; what no one realized at the time was that Arnold was helping to change country music in the process. While Disc Four shows Arnold moving toward an ever more mainstream sound, Disc Five has a number of religious songs that come off extremely well -- largely due to the quality and sincerity of Arnold's singing. By this time, Arnold's voice had evolved into a wonderfully polished baritone, turning him into almost a countrified Bing Crosby. The sound is excellent, and the notes are extremely informative, although there is relatively little about the recording sessions themselves. The booklet is filled with wonderful photos as well. ~ Bruce Eder
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
There's Been a Change in Me (1951-1955) (7-CD Box Set)
$167.39 Super Savings
King of Country Music [Bear Family Box Set] (2-CD)
$41.84 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Various Artists Country Roots (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE