Jimmy Dean Big Bad John
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$18.82 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.17 (25% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Johnny Horton ~ Greatest Hits ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- Released: July 1, 1993
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Imports
- 1.Big Bad John
- 2.I Won't Go Huntin' With You Jake
- 3.Smoke, Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette
- 4.Dear Ivan
- 5.To A Sleeping Beauty
- 6.Cajun Queen
- 7.P. T. 109
- 8.Walk On Boy
- 9.Little Bitty Big John
- 10.Steel Man
- 11.Little Black Book
- 12.Please Pass The Biscuits
- 13.Gonna Raise A Ruckus Tonight
- 14.Day That Changed The Worl
- 15.Gotta Travel On
- 16.Sixteen Tons
- 17.Oklahoma Bill
- 18.Night Train To Memphis
- 19.Make The Waterwheel Roll
- 20.Lonesome Road
- 21.Grasshopper Mac Clain
- 22.Old Pappy's New Banjo
- 23.You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You
- 24.Cajun Joe
- 26.Kentucky Means Paradise
Personnel: Jimmy Dean (vocals); Grady Martin, Hank Garland, Harold Bradley, Billy Byrd, Ray Edenton (guitar); Walter Haynes (steel guitar); Rufus Long (piccolo); Jimmy Riddle, Charlie McCoy (harmonica); Bill McElhiney, Karl Garvin (trumpet); William Whitney Pursell (piano, organ); Floyd Cramer (piano); Douglas Kirkham, Buddy Harman (drums).
Audio Mixer: Mark Wilder.
Liner Note Author: Colin Escott.
Recording information: Bradley Film & Recording Studio, Nashville, TN (08/18/1961-08/20/1962); Columbia Recording Studio, Nashville, TN (08/18/1961-08/20/1962).
Illustrator: R.A. Andreas.
Photographer: R.A. Andreas.
Unknown Contributor Role: Hank Garland.
This 26-song single disc collection covers the highlights of Jimmy Dean's 1961-1962 recordings for Columbia Records; not everything, but most everything that counts. The sheer diversity of material demonstrates some of the problems that Dean had finding and following up on hits; he was a passable singer and likable personality, but he would follow up a pop/rock piece like "Little Black Book" with a blues piece such as "Gonna Raise a Ruckus Tonight." But apart from the hokiest of these tracks ("A Day That Changed the World"), it all holds up, including the title track; the freewheeling "Smoke, Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette"; the weirdly topical "Dear Ivan"; his cover of Merle Travis' "Sixteen Tons"; the sentimental father-to-daughter soliloquy "To a Sleeping Beauty"; the rough-hewn "Big Bad John" follow-up "The Cajun Queen"; the delightful sequel to both songs, "Little Bitty Big John"; "P.T. 109," a tribute to John Kennedy's World War II exploits written in the same vein as Johnny Horton's "Sink the Bismarck"; the wryly cynical "Walk on Boy"; the workers' anthem "Steel Men"; the pop/rock ballad "Little Black Book"; the old Texas blues "Gonna Raise a Ruckus Tonight"; the strange D-day remembrance "A Day That Changed the World"; the breezily folky "Gotta Travel On"; the sad dog (and war) song "Oklahoma Bill"; the effective sub-Elvis "Night Train to Memphis"; and two previously unissued numbers, the slow blues "Lonesome Road" and the swamp ballad "Cajun Joe." ~ Bruce Eder
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 104,704
- UPC: 4000127157232
- Shipping Weight: 0.24/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
King of Country Music [Bear Family Box Set] (2-CD)
$37.65 Super Savings
Everything Is A-OK!/Astronauts Orbit Campus (Live) (CD)
$18.82 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Freddy Fender Before The Next Teardrop Falls (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Charlie Rich Early Years / The Memphis Sound (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE